Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have some led stick-on strips that I want to put in my truck. They have 2 wires (positive and negative) and I'm wanting to light up my footwells. Well I'm wondering how to wire them up to where they will come on when I turn my key to ACC and keep them constant while the truck is running. Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Would need to tie in to a link that has power as you describe... Might be better just to install a switch and control them as you want... Just run wires and shine on !!! LOL
Good luck with your project !!!

·
Ride, Boldly, Ride
553 Posts
Would need to tie in to a link that has power as you describe... Might be better just to install a switch and control them as you want... Just run wires and shine on !!! LOL
Good luck with your project !!!
That's what I did. Ran a wire from one of the 12v outlets behind the main dash, and added a switch underneath the kick panel that's below the steering wheel. Did the RAP mod on that outlet, so if I forget to turn them off, they'll turn off automatically with the car. Then I did a classic white LED bulb in the footwells, so now I have the option of either driving with the footwell lights on, no lights on, or just having the regular white turn on when I open a door or use the headlight switch knob to turn on the interior lights.

There's a ton of info on here that helped me figure it out, and it's a fun, cheap little project. One of the first ones I did with wiring, and definitely helped me understand how proper wiring works. Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have used the fuse for the radio as a source for lights in the past, Also, some vehicles have an extra "Acc." spot in the fuse block that will only have power if the key is on (not sure about the fuse block on a 355, Have not looked at the fuses yet....) My old 98 S- had an empty acc spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts