Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 09 Chevy Colorado V8 and have had this problem where in the morning if I drive for about 15mins or less and shut the truck off it won't start for about 30mins, then like magic after waiting it will start right up like nothing happened. Have any of you guys had this problem? I've replaced the starter, alternator, starter relay, battery, checked all the grounds and key ignition. I just live with it now because its so predictable and I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Please describe the symptoms of 'won't start'.

I'm assuming you have a no crank condition with as many of the parts you have thrown at it??
If it does not crank and you have an auto, it's not passlock (from my understanding). If it cranks and no fire, it could be passlock. Like supermod asked....do you have a padlock icon lit up on your dash? Do you always wait 30 minutes before you try starting it? Passlock clears in 10 minutes I believe....so if the light comes on, wait 10 minutes and try again.

There could be a few different scenarios here....but you will need to specify more of the symptom that prohibits the truck from starting.
Fuel pump/pressure
Vapor lock
passlock
ignition (although replaced assume no)

Also, has any work been performed on the truck that alters the electrical system such as a tune. Stereo install? HID Lighting? Anything else maybe we should know about?

·
Registered
424 Posts
How does one go about finding someone local with a tuner to get Passlock/VATS turned off (I've got the red flashing light)? If I can't find someone local, I presume I pull my ECM, TCM, or BCM and send it off to someone that has a tuner to have it done/turned off and do without a vehicle for say +/- a week, correct?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I found a local guy who can get into the system with HPTuners just by asking the local shops. I got lucky, the first shop couldn't do it but he knew somebody who could.

I didn't want to spend the money so I've never had any tune done...but yes I found a guy just by asking my local shops.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please describe the symptoms of 'won't start'.

I'm assuming you have a no crank condition with as many of the parts you have thrown at it??
If it does not crank and you have an auto, it's not passlock (from my understanding). If it cranks and no fire, it could be passlock. Like supermod asked....do you have a padlock icon lit up on your dash? Do you always wait 30 minutes before you try starting it? Passlock clears in 10 minutes I believe....so if the light comes on, wait 10 minutes and try again.

There could be a few different scenarios here....but you will need to specify more of the symptom that prohibits the truck from starting.
Fuel pump/pressure
Vapor lock
passlock
ignition (although replaced assume no)

Also, has any work been performed on the truck that alters the electrical system such as a tune. Stereo install? HID Lighting? Anything else maybe we should know about?
It doesn't crank over, its like the power isn't even getting to the starter. I've put a new stereo in it and it has a tune but it has been doing this before those two. I did have the bottom end replaced, and auto trans under warranty. Trans went out do to a cracked transmission cooler and there was a knock that started at 30,000 miles due to a bad bearing in the bottom end. All work was done by my chevy dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Doesn't sound like passlock then (unless the dash light indicates otherwise). I believe a stick shift vehicle has the starter disabled (won't crank) during passlock whereas the auto trans will crank and not fire.

There are two primary ground blocks mounted to the fenders, do you know where they are? They cause all type of problems. Usually they need to be removed and resecured after cleaning the mount location. In some cases, the block should be inspected for terminal corrosion.

I do not have much else to offer aside from checking the grounds and I only suggest that because that seems to fix many of the problems owners have with electrical issues. Maybe remove the battery cables from the battery and making sure those connections are cleaned too. Perhaps one last resort, replacing the positive battery cable (I think positive). Corrosion likes to creep under the casing and that can use problems too.

If the problems existed prior to your stereo install and PCM tune I can't imagine either of those two contribute to this.

There are a few guys here who can offer up some valid and sound advise too-related to the symptoms you have described.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Doesn't sound like passlock then (unless the dash light indicates otherwise). I believe a stick shift vehicle has the starter disabled (won't crank) during passlock whereas the auto trans will crank and not fire........
Negative, my automatic 355 is stone cold dead when Passlock does it's thing.....no starter, nothin' for 10 minutes. If the red Passlock light is on steady, it'll start perfectly normal.....of the light is flashing, it's a no go for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I found a local guy who can get into the system with HPTuners just by asking the local shops. I got lucky, the first shop couldn't do it but he knew somebody who could.

I didn't want to spend the money so I've never had any tune done...but yes I found a guy just by asking my local shops.
Is the HPTuner the only brand programer/tuner that will turn off VATS, or r there other brands?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Negative, my automatic 355 is stone cold dead when Passlock does it's thing.....no starter, nothin' for 10 minutes. If the red Passlock light is on steady, it'll start perfectly normal.....of the light is flashing, it's a no go for 10 minutes.
Good to know. I thought it was only the manual's that killed ignition. Thanks for sharing. Guess that puts passlock back on the table to the OP then.
Is the HPTuner the only brand programer/tuner that will turn off VATS, or r there other brands?
I really don't know-I don't recall reading from others how it was disabled with their tune.

I know @GregDAP had his tune done remotely. I forget who did it. He can tell you more. Also Limeswap does mail order tuning I think - I believe pretty quickly. Don't quote me on that though. But those are two of the options I remember reading about quite often, just not sure if VATS is part of what they do.
Sorry.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
My tune was not done remotely. It was done in person by Black Bear Performance (Justin ). He is real popular with the LS engine and full size truck guys. He uses EFILive software not HPTUNERS. I did not have my VATS turned off but I get free re tunes so I can have it turned off if it acts up. I think Justin charges $200 for a mail order tune

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
My tune was not done remotely. It was done in person by Black Bear Performance (Justin ). He is real popular with the LS engine and full size truck guys. He uses EFILive software not HPTUNERS. I did not have my VATS turned off but I get free re tunes so I can have it turned off if it acts up. I think Justin charges $200 for a mail order tune
Thanks Greg, I thought yours was done remotely.
Sorry about that.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You guys had passlock tuned out or we just talking tunes now.
Had passlock turned off when we ordered the tune. Turning Passlock off just requires checking/unchecking one block in HPTuner.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts