Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to like the turn signal mirrors, but they are a bit expensive, so I am going to go another route... lights...

I have only installed one, and its the driver side. I plan to have 3 on each side, with the middle being dual, DRL and Turn. This mod is a Easy - Moderate to install, and was pretty simple. In the coming days I will have a write up done on it!

Currently this is the Middle Driverside, and is only tied into the turnsignal, to save time, I did not want to bother looking for the signal wires inside the cab, so I just ran a wire from the engine compartment (that was faster for me). The worst part was fishing the wire through the body from the light to inside the cab, which involved 1 hole to be drilled (small) and all those stupid plugs to be removed (Temp)

Total this mod will cost, $25 tops! and that includes, Wires, 6 Lights, electrical tape, and screws.

These lights are grounded through the screws, so only 1 wire needs to be ran!

The mounts also came white, I painted them black quickly because well, white would just look ugly on my colly! I have a Black, Grey, Orange theme goin

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
interest on how its gonna look when ur done..

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i hate to see you put plain old lights on such a nice truck.... you need to go for LED's.
In due time! (I want to get a base set up first, then I will upgrade)

but LED's were always in the plans! Comon, Almost all of my interior is LED's Soon will be the exterior

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i hate to see you put plain old lights on such a nice truck.... you need to go for LED's.
well I got the energy to go up to walmart to buy the other lamps, and they had some LED ones there, so I was like ok.. Ill try them... I am happy with them! not only are they 100% water sealed, they look nicer and crisp. I got pics today.. I bought 4, so I have a total of 6 on my truck, and will go to 8. (The spacing is wack!)

So I need to buy 4 more LED's. (I still have the 2 older ones on there!)
and I think that walmart only had 1 or 2 more (they had some in chrome, but im not PRC) so that means going to another walmart!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here is the new light (No base on it, as it was drying from paint)

Running Wires, The middle wire is not a light (but will be) that was where I fed it to the back light, and attached it to the other wires. You can see the original light right between the doors!

Here they are.. (Blurry) but I will be installing one more set inbetween the first light, and the 2nd light (in this pic) for a total of 4 LED lights on each side.

I think this mod is unique in the fact that Ive never seen it done on a pickup (At least the way Im doing it) and, since I park my truck on angles if I am ever at a scene of an accident, I think it will help in marking my truck fully!

·
Registered
253 Posts
hmm thats actually pretty neat. id like to see some distant night pics too. i like how its coming along.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
wow.. i'm beginning to like that alot more now.. wasn't into it before but now liking it

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So me being me. I could not stop today.. I had 3 hours before I need to leave for the simpsons movie tonight... I went to walmart, they had 2 left! i took them and ran! (I paid, but you know what I mean).

Painted them quickly while I did some interior work (I am redoing all my LED' bars come dec!)

I switched out the original sockets to the LED's

And a video!

http://ryangottlieb.com/images/led.avi

I will be installing 2 more (one on each side) Mid drivers door, to eliminate that gap

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
from that angle they look unevenly spaced?
They are VERY unevenly spaced, when I installed the first one I did it between the two doors (Which is NOT the middle, but at the time I did not think about it, so now when I add 1 more to each side, they are off, so adding one more to the mix (Drivers side, mid door) will even it out... I dont want to redrill holes, and leave some open spots. So I kinda got to fix my fuckup now because I did not think in the beg. If you read the bottom of my prev post, it says Im gonna add 2 more, to eliminate that gap..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts