Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I changed my spark plugs out the other day for some new Bosch 4+ but anyway thats not the problem. I took out my 1 cylinder plug first because it was a pain in the ass to get so figured i should get it out of the way and when i opened it up i was amazed by the gap.

I couldn't even fit my gap tool in it. which lowest is .020 so by looking at it im guessing its about .010 so pretty much about to weld itself shut. These are the stock plugs with 50,005 miles exactly on them. now i had a rough idle from the day i got my truck and now its seems to idle A LOT smoother. do you think it might of been the weak spark in the first cylinder? my uncle who works on cars said it probably wouldn't be that but i got a hunch it was throwing the balance off by combusting slower? maybe i dunno too much about this.

ps. no i didnt hit it on anything to bend it in. came out like that

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I know spark plug gap can cause a couple different issues...I wouldnt be surprised it it contributed to the rough idle...It may not be the only reason, but it definitely made it worse... That is pretty crazy usually the gap gets larger with more miles...

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I know spark plug gap can cause a couple different issues...I wouldnt be surprised it it contributed to the rough idle...It may not be the only reason, but it definitely made it worse... That is pretty crazy usually the gap gets larger with more miles...
yeah it will cause one to fire hotter and one cooler and so on and it will fuck up the idle and it will run like shit!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Look at the bright side.. At least they put a spark plug in cylinder #1.. :naughty:

True Dat!!!!

But yeah I changed the plugs the weekend I got this truck and had a similar issue only not nearly that drastic, every plug was a different gap, had the same thing on my first rado also, and both times, a plug swap with proper gap smoothed the idle

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
in my experience plug gap doesnt effect idle too much. little spark is required at idle.

if someone asked me to look at your plugs and give my thoughts on the problem that was problably described i would say an initial load miss. that initial load put on the motor to get the truck going requires the most spark energy.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Look at the bright side.. At least they put a spark plug in cylinder #1.. :naughty:
:lmao:

Made up mind now to yank my plugs and replace them with some Denso, even with only 15500 miles!!

Yea I got 12,500 miles on mine and I think I'm going to at least take a look at the plugs...maybe upgrade them b4 I tune.

Thats some weird shit though, I've never seen something like that.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Here is what my OEM plugs looked like after 28k:
1 2 3 4 5

My truck ran so much better after I plopped the Denso's in. Nice strong pulls (OEM tune) to redline instead of the lag that the OEM plugs gave up top.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Here is what my OEM plugs looked like after 28k:
1 2 3 4 5

My truck ran so much better after I plopped the Denso's in. Nice strong pulls (OEM tune) to redline instead of the lag that the OEM plugs gave up top.
Wow now I'm really leaning towards changing my plugs. Which Denso's did you go w/ C04Z71?

Bosch or Denso? Which is better?

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Wow now I'm really leaning towards changing my plugs. Which Denso's did you go w/ C04Z71?

Bosch or Denso? Which is better?
Denso Iridiums.. I forgot the P/N but I ordered them at Autozone. Around $60ish after taxes... I would recommend them highly. They are still rocking strong now after 30k in my truck.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts