Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a misfire on the left bank of my truck under boost. Plugs are Bosch platinum heat range 6. I pulled the plugs and checked the gaps. All were good at .035. Reinstalled the plugs, still misfiring. So I think the boost is blowing out the spark. Either that or one of my coils is weak.

I have recently read about non-resistor plugs from WeaponX. Supposedly they produce a stronger, longer spark due to zero resistance copper cores compared to carbon cores in resistor plugs. I checked the resistance on the ACDelcos that I removed when I installed my turbo. They showed 3520-3780 ohms.

Typical OEM plug wires show 500-1500 ohms per foot. My OE wire (only checked one) showed 372 ohms.

So with ACDelcos and OE wires, total resistance is around 4000 ohms.

I'm going with MSD 8.5 wires next week (50 ohm/ft), but that will still leave me with around 3600-3700 ohms total resistance. Seems to me that non-resistor plugs is they most effective way to reduce resistance in the ignition system (and get a stronger spark), so I ordered a set of the WeaponX plugs today also.

MSD claims their Super Conductor 8.5 wires suppress RFI equivalent to a 1500 ohm/ft wire. The new plugs and wires will give me less than 50 ohms resistance total, and should suppress RFI enough to not piss off any electronics. We'll see shortly!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8 lbs.

·
tinja nurtles
11,837 Posts
Shouldn't be blowing it out. Get some of the non projected copper for ngks for $1 a piece before you swap plug wires. I run the copper NGK and eBay $19.99 plug wires on junkyard coils without issue

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I have the MSD wires and like them, plugs are TR55 i think.
i use 10.4 wires and Autolite coppers in my GN .038 gap 24lbs.boost

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shouldn't be blowing it out. Get some of the non projected copper for ngks for $1 a piece before you swap plug wires. I run the copper NGK and eBay $19.99 plug wires on junkyard coils without issue
Already ordered the WeaponX plugs and the MSD wires. This'll make the third time I've pulled the plugs recently and I want it to be the last time for a long time! That left front plug is a bitch!

All my forum reading for the past week has been on plugs and wires. A dozen different "bests" in the spark plug department, MSDs won by far in the wire department.

One thing I found on several forums is that copper tip plugs perform well when new but the center electrode rounds off quickly causing energy loss. Spark likes a sharp edge to jump off of. I also read that LS heads have been "optimized" for thin wire electrodes such as platinum or iridium. Copper plugs certainly work very well, but like I said, I don't wanna be changing plugs again anytime soon. That's why I chose the WeaponX plugs...copper center with iridium tip...best of both worlds IMO.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed the plugs and wires yesterday.
Did just the plugs first and did not notice a difference. Took a short drive to log data and that pesky little misfire was still showing up. Very nice looking plugs though, and they show 0 ohms resistance on my meter, so I'm glad they're in there.
Changed the wires after that and logged again. Misfire gone! Must have had a bad wire.
At least I know my ignition will light off anything I dump on it now lol!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I'm getting ready to do Iridium plugs and MSD 8.5 wires on the Tahoe

I won't use anything but IR plugs now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts