Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I'm looking for the speaker mounting depth for the front doors. Anyone have them on hand?

Thanks in advance. :)
I think they have to be under 2.1"

You can use a spacer though, I put in 2.5" deep speakers with a 1/2" spacer with no problem.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
And you didn't have to cut the door panel to fit the speaker with the spacer?

I believe we're looking at a 2.75" mounting depth of this speaker....
No, I didn't have to do anything to the door panel.

Let me double check what the depth of mine were.

yeah, they were 2.5"...

P

·
0 Posts
I mounted my Polk DB-650's with the brackets on the stock speakers, just rip off the speakers and your left with a pecfect spacer, I did this for all four doors and now MC has done it too. Works great, uses stock mounting on door, no new holes. :thumbup:

MC has type-r components in there with the stock brackets, and those speakers are effin huge when it comes to depth.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I didn't have to do anything to the door panel.

Let me double check what the depth of mine were.

yeah, they were 2.5"...
Awesome, thanks RCSB. :)

Any idea if you have clearance under the door panel for another .25"?

I mounted my Polk DB-650's with the brackets on the stock speakers, just rip off the speakers and your left with a pecfect spacer, I did this for all four doors and now MC has done it too. Works great, uses stock mounting on door, no new holes. :thumbup:

MC has type-r components in there with the stock brackets, and those speakers are effin huge when it comes to depth.
Any idea what the depth on those Type-Rs are?

·
Registered
9,094 Posts

Exact same way I did mine! Stock spacer is perfect and my door panels fit right over them.....nice and clean.:355:

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeah, the Type R's fit...barely. :noes:

I had to cannibalize the stock speaker and fab it into a bracket...worked rather nicely though.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Here's a pic of mine. Diamond Audio 6.5's. I think the mounting depth was like 2.3". Without the spacer it hit the window channel...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, just FYI, on these stupid adapters that everyone sells...like, circuit city, best buy, etc...if your speakers are that deep, the spacers probably won't fit. :jerkit:

I bought 3 different sets (1", 1/2" and another 1") trying to get them to work; they didn't. They were Metra brand and Scosche.

Best bet is to fab your own.

Here's a pic of mine. Diamond Audio 6.5's. I think the mounting depth was like 2.3". Without the spacer it hit the window channel...

mine are similar to that, but rotated just a bit so that the speaker actualy grips into the spacer.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, just FYI, on these stupid adapters that everyone sells...like, circuit city, best buy, etc...if your speakers are that deep, the spacers probably won't fit. :jerkit:

I bought 3 different sets (1", 1/2" and another 1") trying to get them to work; they didn't. They were Metra brand and Scosche.

Yeah, I think he's most likely going to fab up his own set so he can try to get them to fit without having to hack up the door panel. It's only two anyways, no big deal.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

really? I bought some 1/2" ones from Best Buy and they worked perfect.

P

·
0 Posts
What brand? Alpine's are heege! :eek:
Its really cheap plastic, we tried them and nothing worked, we couldnt even center the speaker to mount to the spacer, it MIGHT just be the type-r's thought, but still, those things are really cheap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
dunno bout the spacers, the speakers are some old sony components I had around.
ah.

I believe the Sonys are actually a little smaller than 6/5 inches around...these Alpine Type R's are almost 6 3/4 around. :eek2:

Its really cheap plastic, we tried them and nothing worked, we couldnt even center the speaker to mount to the spacer, it MIGHT just be the type-r's thought, but still, those things are really cheap.
you weren't there....I did it by myself. :kiki2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts