Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a front drivers side stock speaker swap right over to the passenger side?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I have a crew cab, the rear speakers are different than the front. It appears you have a crew also.

I do not know if that is true for extended cab rear speakers, however.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Crew rear speakers have sort of a housing built around them whereas the fronts do not. Was kind of a pain to swap in an aftermarket speaker to that housing to be able to install in the rear door. Otherwise the diameter is the same. If i remember right the depth is about the same as well. Good news is all 4 Crew door panels are easy to take on and off. Hope this somehow helps.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Right, without installing spacers or cutting the factory speaker out of the basket, an aftermarket speaker will not drop in.

But you can not swap a front speaker to the rear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
so I was gonna buy a set of 4 --6.5in boss audio speakers. so I would have to mod them to fit in the rear of my club cab

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Do u need any kind of adapter when u switch out to aftermarket speakers
I'm still running all stock everything
Depends...I've seen people install Kicker Speakers in their front doors just by screwing them in. My Polk speakers have a smaller bolt circle than the size of the opening. And screws don't screw into air very well. :D The Polk speakers I have came with an adapter ring that worked perfectly.
Rear crew cab speakers require special mounting. Either cut out the factory speaker from the plastic housing and secure the new speaker into that housing, or purchase/make a spacer no less than 1/2" thick. The rear housing will acommodate a standard 6.5" speakers without problem from what I've 'seen'. I did not tear apart my factory speaker to install my aftermarke ones.
so I was gonna buy a set of 4 --6.5in boss audio speakers. so I would have to mod them to fit in the rear of my club cab
If you mean Crew Cab a speaker will not simply fit in. If by club cab (that is not a GM term) you mean the suicide doors, then it's possible to fit them in place. The door panels are different.

I know this is way off topic from the OP, but I will post a picture of the install when I get home (if I remember).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Depends...I've seen people install Kicker Speakers in their front doors just by screwing them in. My Polk speakers have a smaller bolt circle than the size of the opening. And screws don't screw into air very well. :D The Polk speakers I have came with an adapter ring that worked perfectly.
Rear crew cab speakers require special mounting. Either cut out the factory speaker from the plastic housing and secure the new speaker into that housing, or purchase/make a spacer no less than 1/2" thick. The rear housing will acommodate a standard 6.5" speakers without problem from what I've 'seen'. I did not tear apart my factory speaker to install my aftermarke ones.

If you mean Crew Cab a speaker will not simply fit in. If by club cab (that is not a GM term) you mean the suicide doors, then it's possible to fit them in place. The door panels are different.

I know this is way off topic from the OP, but I will post a picture of the install when I get home (if I remember).
yea the club cab as in suicide doors....when I get mea set ill be sure to update this post. not sure on a time period, do to college but I will sooner or later

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Pull your door panels off and measure the hole. For example, the front doors have a cutout of lets say 7" round. The speakers have a bolt circle of 6 5/8".

The rear doors on a crew cab do not have a round opening. Rear doors on an extended cab do have round openings.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Shots of the rear doors of a crew cab and the spacer built to mount. The opening is about 4.5" wide if I recall correctly.
Also one shot of a front door showing a mounting ring installed.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
Found this pdf on Crutchfield also. Not saying anyone needs it here, but just in case someone searches later and stumbles across this thread. Speaker Install Instructions Colorado / Canyon / I-series.

take this pdf with a grain of salt. It doesn't match exactly with supplied pictures. The door panel removal process may be accurate. I haven't tried it personally.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I can't speak for the extended cab, but the illustration for the crew cab isn't accurate. At least not accurate for a 2008 crew cab.

The photo appears that the speaker is mounted directly to the door panel (can't tell for certain) and that it is held in by 4 screws. My rear speakers look very SIMILAR to the front speakers (but are not interchangeable). The rear speaker is spaced out by 1/2" but a housing similar to the speaker in the front door photo.

Not trying to argue. Just want people to realize it is more challenging than the instruction makes it seem.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
I can't speak for the extended cab, but the illustration for the crew cab isn't accurate. At least not accurate for a 2008 crew cab.

The photo appears that the speaker is mounted directly to the door panel (can't tell for certain) and that it is held in by 4 screws. My rear speakers look very SIMILAR to the front speakers (but are not interchangeable). The rear speaker is spaced out by 1/2" but a housing similar to the speaker in the front door photo.

Not trying to argue. Just want people to realize it is more challenging than the instruction makes it seem.
Thanks for the clarification. I got all excited inside and rushed to post an aid without reviewing it fully. I will add a disclaimer. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts