Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently whenever I turn on my A/C, I get a real strong burnt smell, kind of electrical. No smoke or anything else, and giving a general once over with they eye, nothing looks wrong. It doesn't keep getting worse or anything the longer its on, just stays the same from the moment I turn it on to when I turn it off.

On a potentially related side note... the pistons and rings were replaced a few thousand miles ago by the dealer for oil consumption. Could they have messed something up putting the engine back together? It was replaced under warranty but I am now out of warranty. If it was their mess up, wouldn't it still be covered under warranty since it was a result of warranty work?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The AC..

Have you done the factory upgrade for the fan connector/resistor-pack?

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
If you suspect that the source of the smell may be coming from the engine compartment, run the A/C in "recirc". If you still get the smell, it's probably associated with the wiring to the blower.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I am not aware of an upgrade, so I doubt it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Just a guess, but if the problem smells like an electrical problem, and if it's only when the AC is on (or heat), then the probability is that it's the electrical connector at the interior blower fan (under the passenger-side dash).

This problem is common to all 355 models.
They slightly under-sized the connector in the wiring harness that runs to the fan motor.
In addition, they combined the series resistors that control fan speed with the connector.
(in years past they would have mounted the resistors elsewhere, like on the firewall).

The resistors naturally get warm when operating the fan.
And the undersized connector pin gets hot from the current flowing through it.
The two together heat up the plastic connector which causes it to melt slightly.
This causes the contact to become less positive, which then increases the heating effect.

From there it's only a matter of time before:
If this is the problem then soon your blower motor will begin to operate on speed 4, but not on 1, 2, or 3. That's your clue.

Run the AC on speed 1 and get your face down under the dash on the passenger side.
If the smell is stronger there then you need to find the connector (near the blower motor behind the glovebox) and inspect the connector.

Here is a step-by-step how-to:
http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-...fan-motor-resistor-connector-replacement.html

If you suspect that the source of the smell may be coming from the engine compartment, run the A/C in "recirc". If you still get the smell, it's probably associated with the wiring to the blower.
My guess is the blower motor (FWIW).

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree. The resistor on the fan motor went out twice on my last truck twice. Started to smell like an electronic b burn until it finally blew up and put smoke through the vents. Only got the 4th speed after that. The resistor piece was fried and melted.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
Yep check the blower motor connector, resistor, and clean the ground on the passenger side fender.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi eagleknight97,

I’m very sorry to hear of the difficulties that you are experiencing. Unfortunately, I am not a technician and I am unable to provide technical advice. I would like to take a further look into your concern and contact your dealership regarding your warranty questions. Please feel free to send us a private message referencing this thread if we can be of any assistance. We will be glad to help!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

1 - 8 of 8 Posts