Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was adding exterior courtesy lights, to illuminate the ground when you open the door at night, powered off battery but through a relay that is triggered by footwell light. So I spliced into the orange wire leading into drivers side footwell. Wouldn't work the relay, and my interior lights went away, so I repaired the splice hoping to undo the damage. Well no luck there. Now, the footwells very faintly illuminate, dome light will not come on, and now my turn signals blink rapidly, even though no lights are burnt out. I have no clue what to do. Help!

The only other thing I had done was I ran a wire through firewall for orange foot well wire to trigger the relay, through which I already have other wires running through so I dont see how I could have messed anything up there. If anyone has schematics of the involved wiring, maybe I can figure it out

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Very tricky getting into the wiring on these rides... Do a search on here...I have seen several wiring diagrams on this site.... Hope you get it solved !!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx tsoul!

orange is +, just like i thought, and the dome and footwell only share a low ref volt. maybe resetting the bcm will work. and turn signals dont make an appearance anywhere on the same schematic... :(

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I'm constantly amazed at the damage that often occurs when somebody gets into the wiring.

I'm sure other vehicles and manufacturers have plenty of problems, but the electrical/computer system in this truck seems like some sort of cruel joke that GM decided to play.

Like the BCM is programmed with plenty of Easter Eggs. As soon as it sees a change in voltage because somebody added 4mm of wire to the system it wants to laugh at us! I'm surprised it doesn't have a skull and crossbones hologram displayed onto the windshield with some of the problems we've seen. Oh wait, it can't because that would take too much voltage, and the computer would have to laugh at itself. LOL

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I'm constantly amazed at the damage that often occurs when somebody gets into the wiring.

I'm sure other vehicles and manufacturers have plenty of problems, but the electrical/computer system in this truck seems like some sort of cruel joke that GM decided to play.

Like the BCM is programmed with plenty of Easter Eggs. As soon as it sees a change in voltage because somebody added 4mm of wire to the system it wants to laugh at us! I'm surprised it doesn't have a skull and crossbones hologram displayed onto the windshield with some of the problems we've seen. Oh wait, it can't because that would take too much voltage, and the computer would have to laugh at itself. LOL

It's not just the 355 model, anything newer than 2003, when adding anything new to a circuit you should always add a fuse & relay, or else you're just asking for trouble.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
The orange wire is the positive (+) and the white wire is the negative (-). The white wire controls the switching via the BCM. Sounds like the relay is preventing the reference signal from getting back to the BCM. These truck use a switched negative which is kinda goofy to work with. You might want to try re-charging the battery or at least test the output voltage. Low voltage will cause lots of weird issues.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've put it back to stock and still no luck :(

Dimmed footwell lights, no dome, fast blinkers

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The orange wire is the positive (+) and the white wire is the negative (-). The white wire controls the switching via the BCM. Sounds like the relay is preventing the reference signal from getting back to the BCM. These truck use a switched negative which is kinda goofy to work with. You might want to try re-charging the battery or at least test the output voltage. Low voltage will cause lots of weird issues.
I'll give that a shot, thanks rshadd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts