Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to get a small amp for my door speakers right now, and later on when i get enough money, put my system in. my headunit only has one set of RCA cables and if i bought some RCA splitters and run it to both amps would it be fine just like that, or turn the gain up a little on them, or would spliting it be bad.

thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Splitting RCA's isn't the absolute best idea, but it's not really a big deal. Go ahead and do it, you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Eh. :shrug:

The only thing you're going to miss out on is being able to use front and rear fade...of course, it really isn't the greatest idea to split them, due to noise, etc...I'd go with what Bob said just to be safe. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bob's link didn't come through right - it should be
http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-TA...ryZ14932QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. Also, as far as noise and splitting goes, yes, it will be more noisy, and you're changing the impedance seen to the radio's line out which can lead to some other noise, but it's not that big of a deal in an automotive environment. If it was a reference grade system, or in my studio, I'd never do it. But here, you won't really notice (besides not being able to use a fader).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing you're going to miss out on is being able to use front and rear fade
i have a single cab;)

the amp i want is a little 200 watt max and is only 50 bucks at wal mart. i thought they were preety cheap and im going to hide it under a seat or somthing, but when i went back they had one torn open. so i took it out and looked at it. it has a line out for RCA's, but being its from walmart would the signal still be clear or would the amp distort it(it will be going to the subs).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i forgot to ask this earlyer, but same ? with the turn on wire, does the amp turn on just by getting a signal, or does amprege matter?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just one more ?s

how much power can the stock wires handle, 100 watts to each side?
I assume you're talking about the factory speaker wires. I believe that they're 18ga, so 100W RMS would be pushing it. Is 100W a RMS rating? I'm also not a big believer in huge speaker wire, though as you're not pushing that much current through them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya, the factory speaker wires. so i wouldent have to run new ones thru the door, tap in in the wiring harness behind the radio befor the stock plug. id run about 55-70 watts RMS and 100-115 watts max.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts