Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to get som LED tail lights for my 08. I like the style of these two but can’t find any pictures of it on the truck itself. Anyone seen either of these on a truck or have them on their truck? Any comments on if they fit/function well? Also concerned the smoked ones might be too dark to actually see the lights. My truck is silver birch metallic but I’d just want to see them on any color. Thanks

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I've been eyeing these too. Amazon has them for half the price. I have them in my save for later cart. I haven't seen them on any either but smoked should be fine to use. Leds are bright. My concern is if they work properly with brake and signal. Led set looks to be the same for brake and signal lighting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since posting I actually did some digging on Instagram and search the hashtag #355nation and looked until I found them. I found a white Colorado with the smoked one and red canyon with the non smoked. Honestly can’t tell which I like better. I haven’t heard any complaints about the functionality. I think on the amazon links I saw some reviews saying people had problem so I was just going to spend the extra and get the legit ones to lower my concerns for what you’re talking about

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have the links to the ones you found?
Yeah here are the links, I found them on CarID, as well as another site for ~$40 cheaper but I haven't heard of the other site. I have ordered parts from CarID for my previous car and didn't have any issues, although it wasn't an expensive product.

Anyway:
Smoked (CarID)
Non-Smoked (CarID)

Smoked (ProTuningLab)
Non-Smoked (ProTuningLab)

Personally I am still undecided. Was leaning toward non-smoked but now I think I am going smoked.

Not that you asked but I also found this for the 3rd brake light that I think matches pretty well, also available in smoked and non-smoked.
3rd Brake Light (CarID)

Might pull the trigger on the smoked soon, I'll be sure to post some pics if I do. But if you beat me to it show us how it looks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, my bad. Here’s the screenshots. I love the non smoked in the one pic, but the pic of the whole truck from behind makes me think it looks like big eyes kinda. Since then I’ve been leaning smoked

·
Registered
415 Posts
I bought a set of the non-smoked version of these tail lights, and I am returning them.

when you press the brakes, it trips the turn signal indicators on the dash

reistors are not correct, it hyperflashes when using turn signals

the “fiber optic” section of the tail light looks pink during daylight, not red. I don’t see how these are considered “DOT legal” as listed on CarID’s website.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a set of the non-smoked version of these tail lights, and I am returning them.

when you press the brakes, it trips the turn signal indicators on the dash

reistors are not correct, it hyperflashes when using turn signals

the “fiber optic” section of the tail light looks pink during daylight, not red. I don’t see how these are considered “DOT legal” as listed on CarID’s website.
You bought the Spyder brand from CarID? That's disappointing. I've seen some other brands in the same style have problems, but I was hoping the Spyder brand would be solid. I knew they would hyperflash given the current from the LEDs, I believe just a different type of resistor can fix that, but that's annoying it doesn't come with the correct one. No idea why the dash turn signals would come on from pressing the brakes, nor do I know how that is even possible....
I was concerned about the fiber optic section looking a little pink just because direct sunlight into diffused LED's can make them look lighter than intended, which is partially why I went with the smoked ones.

I do wish there were more tail light options for the gen 1's....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts