Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yoooo, I noticed a squeak this morning when i got to work . it only does it when i back up. anyone have a clue to what could be causing it??

·
Registered
746 Posts
is it a constant squeak or like squeak squeak squeak? if its the second one chances are its the u joints. my truck did that for awhile, and when i brought it into the dealer, it had randomly stopped doing it. brought it back on a dif day, and they said it was the u joints in the front driveshaft had gone bad. warranty fixed, and only took about an hr

G

·
or if its not just reverse, they fixed mine by chasis lube and replacing a suspension tower i think..
or it cld be just the fact its cold out

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it sounds like its comming from the back of the truck and is a squeak squeak squeak. ill check the u joints but it has been super cold out lately too, single digits and teens. ill wait it out a couple days to see if it stops. thanks alot guys

·
Registered
746 Posts
yea that sounds exactly like my ujoints. it sounded like it was coming from the back, but when i got on a skateboard and hung onto the bumper while my mom drove it, it comes from the front. i thought it was wierd as shit cuz it sounded like it was in the back but :shrug:

dealer replaced the front u joints, no more squeak

G

·
yea that sounds exactly like my ujoints. it sounded like it was coming from the back, but when i got on a skateboard and hung onto the bumper while my mom drove it, it comes from the front. i thought it was wierd as shit cuz it sounded like it was in the back but :shrug:

hahaha wow my mom would freak out if i asked her to do that hahaha

but it cld also be your leaf springs rubbing in te cold

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
is it a constant squeak or like squeak squeak squeak? if its the second one chances are its the u joints. my truck did that for awhile, and when i brought it into the dealer, it had randomly stopped doing it. brought it back on a dif day, and they said it was the u joints in the front driveshaft had gone bad. warranty fixed, and only took about an hr
Exactly what happened to me. I started noticing it happen when going forward after a while. never go real loud but going through a toll booth I could hear it.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts

lol...why didnt you just hop in the bed :lol:

Yea I had the same issue on my old zq8 as well as a clunk sound everytime i put it in reverse. Havent had any issues with the xtreme yet.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Old thread - but I can confirm that it's the u-joints. Replaced mine this weekend and almost all of the needle bearings had turned into rust in one of the u-joints.

Originally was a clunk and turned into a squeak in reverse and while engine breaking.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Napa #'s 354 and 355 if I remember correctly. Has the grease zerk.

A tip, and I'm not sure if it's possible or not, but make sure that the rear zerk faces forward. I think this will allow you to use a head-on fitting on the grease gun. Mine faces the differential and I can't get the fitting on. I'm going to try a 90 degree fitting today. The front doesn't seem to matter as much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts