Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1321 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
I've been wanting to get something for years, but spending the money on a new gun wasn't high on the priority list. A bunch of people around me have been talking about them, and getting new guns lately, so it sparked my interest. Plus I figured, with all the dealing I do on craigslist and whatnot, it's probably best I be packing!

After weeks of researching, renting and firing different guns at ranges, gun shows....I settled on a S&W M&P9c. Normally $470+, but it was on sale for $399...so that helped! I wanted to give a Sig p320 compact a try, but couldn't justify the $180 more it cost vs. the S&W.

I didn't want to try and carry a full size, but I also didn't want some micro mini gun with only 6 shots either. I liked the capacity of this one vs. sub-compacts, and I can also run a full size magazine with a grip extender if I want.

Now to wade through the dozens of CCW class offerings around here and find one that works for my schedule!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Nice pickup! I love my M&P. It's going to be getting some goodies here soon (trigger, light, raised sights) while I wait for my can.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Someone mentioned a trigger mod I could do/have done. I told him my buddy just got a Walther PPQ 9mm, and apparently people have the biggest boner over the triggers on that gun. Told my neighbor that, and he said for $50 I could have the same, or better trigger?

Being the novice I am, I can't really tell much difference from gun to gun. Hell, I fired a S&W M&P40, and it felt like the same kick as that Walther 9mm! The one thing I did notice though, which was another point in it's favor, was how much more I liked firing S&W's over other guns! I rented a sub-compact 9mm shield, and it was great, minus how thin the handle was because of the single stack design. Tested a full size M&P9, and same great feel!

I couldn't even touch Glocks. Tried out a 19 and my friend's 27, both hurt my knuckle below the trigger guard!? Like...bad! After every shot! Not sure what that was about. First thing people were asking me was, "how are you holding it? you might have to adjust your grip." But I was like....eff that. If I have to adjust my grip to fire a certain gun, then that's probably not the gun for me! Especially since I could fire ANY other gun at all, and have that not happen to me.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,308
Dang. SRC invades the Gun Bash next year? You are one lucky dude Chris.

·
Harry...
13,936 Posts
I advise you keep going to that particular event, lol. You can't lose!
Grace said, "God damnit, now you'll want to keep going back".

She doesn't really care that I won the gun. :(

Dang. SRC invades the Gun Bash next year? You are one lucky dude Chris.
Come on down. You're an adjoining state (one of the winners was a PA resident) and it's all long guns, cash, or ATVs. All you can eat (this year they had: fried chicken, Italian sausge, pit beef, pulled pork, beans, cole slaw, potato salad, and desert) and drink (beer included) for $50. It goes 7 hours. There's also side tables with a ton of other guns (which is what I won - I bought a $2 ticket) and raffles.

It's a volunteer FD, so it's all considered "donations", thus a tax write off.

I can't find the guns from this year, but here's last year's raffles as an idea:

·
Premium Member
18,001 Posts
love the color. is it the same on both? one just being "weathered"?
Yes, Cerakote Burnt Bronze. Just a clean finish and bake on the M&P and a "Battle Worn" finish on the Taurus.

My cousin done the work for me. He has been doing some Live Videos on IG (lilcowan). I got to watch most of the work being done and give input as he went along. He finished 14 mo of Gunsmith School out in Colorado and is building up a business here close by. I've already got him hooked up with a couple more clients and one of those have lined him up with a local gun store to possibly be their Gun Smith.

Going to hand off the Hand Cannon(Glock21 45) to him while I'm gone next week to work on it. The one with the Reaper finish on the slide, Thinking Battleship gray or Sniper gray for the frame and then stipple the grip with a couple other mods to the grip.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,314
I was following along on IG with your pew pew Mark. Finished piece looks good!

In other news the guy I work with here is involved/ buddies with a local gun manufacture/ FFL. Dude went to the SHOT show in Vegas this year. Anyway they just got a shipment of 9mm AR lowers. Been considering it just to have something fun and inexpensive to shoot. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Do you know the name of the manufacturer?

9mm ARs can be tricky, because not everything is as universal as the 5.56/.223 variety.

You can use a mag block in a standard lower, or they make lowers that accept Glock or Colt style mags.

If you do end up going the 9mm route, just carefully plan ahead before buying parts willy nilly. And I would suggest building a pistol. 9mm doesn't suffer balistic disadvantages from short barrel lengths like .223 does.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,316

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Once my suppressor finally gets released to me, I probably won't be able to fight the temptation of building a 9mm pistol.

Too many hobbies, not enough cash flow lol.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,319
3 Gun Range...you intrigue me good sir.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Leaving work at noon to finally go pick up my suppressor!! And due to all the excitement, this morning I decided to order a Springfield XD-M in .45, with a threaded barrel and taller sights. This way, I'll have 2 handguns ready to screw this bad boy on to.

Should compliment my M&P9 pretty well.

1301 - 1320 of 1321 Posts