Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Starter or Battery?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  1BADI5 
#1 ·
I have recently had some goofy things happen with my truck. Everything was fine until Wednesday morning. I go out to start my truck, unlock the doors with the remote, fine, go to turn the key and nothing, no lights, no radio, nothing. Pop the hood check the connections, everything is fine. I pull the starter fuse and ignition fuse, put them back in and try once more and it fires right up. Fast forward to tonight. I drove from Cincinnati to Cleveland last night and back tonight. When I stopped near my house to fill up, I go to start my truck it gives me two clicks and starts. I stop at another place, one click and fires up. The battery is no more than two years old and it has like 660 CCA or close to. But I do have a lot of electronics. I have PIAA fog lights in my front bumper, 55W HID's, Pioneer AVH-X7500BT head unit, 1000W Memphis amp and a 12" Kicker rt sub. But I have only had the stereo system installed for a month or so and I have never seen my lights dim or have any indication that it was drawing a lot of power. I know it can because when they tested it in the shop, my lights were going nuts. So my question is, what do y'all think it is? Do you think it is the battery or the starter or a bad connection or what? I will get the battery and alternator tested when I get back from Atlanta on Sunday, I was just wondering if any of you guys have run into this problem before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I know you checked the connections and everything looked fine, but perhaps cleaning the grounds and/or battery terminals is a good idea anyway. It isn't always possible to see that connections are faulty with just your eye.

Because you are traveling, I'd suggest having the battery/alternator tested now. Why risk being stranded for sake of being home. I may or may not be speaking from experience of tempting fate with a faulty part on a 300 mile road trip.

Unless the battery has a bad cell, it won't magically correct itself. If it doesn't crank, then it does then there is likely a connection being broken someplace.

#8 ·
In speaking of redtops......I need to start my truck today

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.