Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Starting Issues

3K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  CodeRed 
#1 ·
Anyone had any issues where when you try to turn the key it clicks and then when you let go of the key as if you started it then it starts?

#3 ·
its been happening quite a bit latly almost like the truck looses power for a split second when trying to start I'm wondering if it is my battery and or connections. I have been wanting to upgrade to an optima anyways

#8 ·
im sure its the same on all our trucks but to start it all you have to do is turn the key to the starting position for a split second and return it to run and it keeps cranking until it starts. Maybe that whole system is out of wack on your truck. Just a thought.

#9 ·
Haha, speaking of that (not to get too off track here) but my friend's dad just bought a 07 F-150 and he's the Bragging type. But out of respect I humor him and let him walk me through how bad ass he thinks his turd is. He showed me that feature and I say to myself...."Yea dude, my truck has that and it was built 3 years ago!!!

ok, back on track....lol

#10 ·
GM has been doing that since 2000 or so. its just a pulse from the ignition switch to the BCM then to the starter instead of from switch directly to starter. pretty stupid if you ask me.

ask him if his electronic brake assist has messed up yet. those truck actually apply more vacuum to the brake booster in high speed braking situations to decrease pedal effort. talk about inconsistent braking. hit the pedal hard one time and it stops normal, the next at a higher speed and abs engages as the truck thinks you are in a panic stop.

ok, back on topic.

#11 ·
looks like its battery

yesterday and today try to start and nope no powerv wiggle the battery terminals and walla

i think on my lunch today I'll see about getting a new battery and maybe try to reseat the terminals

#16 ·
I have had that problem alot recently too. my bf took a look @ it and he suggested it is the terminal..... sometimes ill turn the key and you hear a click but it wont turn over then i go and mess with the connections and it starts..
so he is suppose to fix it when i get back from vacation.

#21 ·
I'm planning on removing the terminal and putting on different ones. Hopefully the wire will be long enough because it's too cold to be trying to replace the Big 3 right now.

#27 ·
CodeRed try removing your battery terminals and using a wire brush srub your terminals and the inside of your terminal clamps, i wouldn't be surprised if you got some corrosion buildup in between.

Otherwise it kinda sounds like a bad ignition switch to me. When/if this happens again see if you can turn the key alll the way to start to see if it works.

#30 ·
nice I had gotten a yellow top for my cav for cheap once but then it died after a year

i really dont need a yellow top for the truck since I'm only running one amp right now so no need

#33 · (Edited)
with mine i can turn it all the way and just let it go and it will turn itself over until it starts.... done it since i got it.... idk if thats the same prob

#34 ·
Yea everyone elses does that too Norm, what Codered is describing is an issue relating to possibly a bad ignition switch or relay or some sorta contact. In other words its not doing what you described when it should be... intermittently.

Codered, any updates?

#35 ·
ahhh i see.... a few years a go i had to put a new key switch in because it was doing something like that.. it would be dead sometimes, just click other times and then after a few tries it started but after a couple of times that it did that the passlock light came on and the truck would not start. come to find out that the tumblers got wore out and where binding....

#37 ·
well ever since I changed to the optima battery I havent had a single issue might have been the bettery or a connection issue. I'm keeping the battery for now to have as a spare

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.