Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hope to be receiving my front door speakers this week. But in saying that I also have an issue that I am looking for suggestions. The new speakers are BIG!!

And as you can see this is the door panel

So where my issue/quandary lies is with two points

1.) Behind the door panel (speaker location) there is a ring 1/4" tall that encompasses the stock speaker grill. If I were to cut off that ring would it give me the space needed to allow for the speaker excursion/throw. Now I know with the mounting depth of 2.75" that I will need some sort of spacer behind the speaker. With that being said would I still have the depth between speaker front and grill on the inside of the door panel to let them move? Also with a total diameter of 6.75" how much speaker would be covered up by the door panel causing a loss in sound??

2.) With a cut out diameter of 5.87" and a total diameter of 6.75" I could cut out the stock speaker grill on the door which is really close to 6". But If I were to do this I'm worried about it looking like fido's ass. And the reason I say this is the door panel tapers down away from the speaker grill and the speaker would be flat. See the issue?? But by mounting it on the outside of the door panel I shouldn't have an issue with mounting depth.

Any ideas would be very helpful!!! My head is spinning thinking about all this stuff. Isn't car audio fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
u couldn't find those thin 6.5 in speakers.. i have a set of audiobann i'll be installing one day (i'm lazy). they are meant the be door speakers.. they are reallly thin.. i'll try to find them...

as for u prob.. damn that sucks...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
u couldn't find those thin 6.5 in speakers.. i have a set of audiobann i'll be installing one day (i'm lazy). they are meant the be door speakers.. they are reallly thin.. i'll try to find them...

as for u prob.. damn that sucks...
Well please understand I'm not trying to be an ass when I say this.........

I was looking for and found a very great set of speakers. The sound quality of these speakers is out of this world!!! When installed, I will be putting 230 watts RMS into each front door. So I guess I'll be pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to make them fit.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Custom fiberglass kickpanels???

:D

On a more serious note (because I know you're desperately trying to keep the factory look), I've been racking my brain trying to think of a clean way to do this, but I can't really do much without having everything apart with the speakers there in hand to see what you actually have to work with. Otherwise, it's anyones guess.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Custom fiberglass kickpanels???

:D

On a more serious note (because I know you're desperately trying to keep the factory look), I've been racking my brain trying to think of a clean way to do this, but I can't really do much without having everything apart with the speakers there in hand to see what you actually have to work with. Otherwise, it's anyones guess.
Well don't be surprised if you get a call when they get here!!!

As you know I can't afford to lose any more hair......:true: :true:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I hope to be receiving my front door speakers this week. But in saying that I also have an issue that I am looking for suggestions. The new speakers are BIG!!

And as you can see this is the door panel

So where my issue/quandary lies is with two points

1.) Behind the door panel (speaker location) there is a ring 1/4" tall that encompasses the stock speaker grill. If I were to cut off that ring would it give me the space needed to allow for the speaker excursion/throw. Now I know with the mounting depth of 2.75" that I will need some sort of spacer behind the speaker. With that being said would I still have the depth between speaker front and grill on the inside of the door panel to let them move? Also with a total diameter of 6.75" how much speaker would be covered up by the door panel causing a loss in sound??

2.) With a cut out diameter of 5.87" and a total diameter of 6.75" I could cut out the stock speaker grill on the door which is really close to 6". But If I were to do this I'm worried about it looking like fido's ass. And the reason I say this is the door panel tapers down away from the speaker grill and the speaker would be flat. See the issue?? But by mounting it on the outside of the door panel I shouldn't have an issue with mounting depth.

Any ideas would be very helpful!!! My head is spinning thinking about all this stuff. Isn't car audio fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are putting way to much thought into this. Your leg will be blocking way more sound than that door panel. the speakers will go in fine with just some mdf plates to build them out a little. what you have is an oversized 6.5 . Who makes this speaker byu the way?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you are putting way to much thought into this. Your leg will be blocking way more sound than that door panel. the speakers will go in fine with just some mdf plates to build them out a little. what you have is an oversized 6.5 . Who makes this speaker byu the way?
CDT, they are the HD-62's

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm with tech on this. I've got Hertz HSK's in the doors and they're pretty big as well. I built a MDF plate to mount them to and they worked fine.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm with tech on this. I've got Hertz HSK's in the doors and they're pretty big as well. I built a MDF plate to mount them to and they worked fine.
Well see that is what I'm talking about. Your HSK's are 165mm/6.50" in diameter, and 67mm/2.64" in mounting depth. So your actual size in the door is 141mm/5.55"

Mine are 6 3/4" in diameter with a 2 3/4" mounting depth. I'm going to have a larger diameter speaker trying to go into the same size opening that you put yours into. Which has me worried that the speaker excursion will hit the door panel.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It might, but there's a fair amount of room behind the grill on the door panel. The only way to know is to get in there with the speaker and start designing something. You might have to cut some metal to really get it to fit, but I wouldn't be able to say without actually getting my hands on it. Good luck, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts