Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been here for a while, but I've been pretty quiet recently. I looked at getting an '06 Colorado a while back, but that didn't work out. Another one I like was bought before I could get there. So I've been waiting to see if the right one came up.

Well, I've been keeping my eye on one for a while that's dropped $4k in price. It was originally listed at $15k, but now it's down to $11k. It's a 2008 Colorado LS, Extended Cab with 4x4. Automatic, 2.9L, with 41k miles on it. The only thing making me wonder about it is... why is it still there?? It's been there for several months, maybe 5 or 6. So I thought I'd come here and see what you guys thought. Any common problems with the 2.9? Anything I should be worried about?

It's a very nice looking truck, and I haven't been there to test drive it yet, but I'll be heading up there soon (it's about an hour away from me). I'll bring pictures and what not back.

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
4 cylinder with an auto and 4x4 will be a complete dog power wise. They feel sluggish with the 5 cylinder so the 4 deters most people.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's one of my thoughts. I currently have an 01 Monte Carlo with the 3.8, at 220HP, I know the 2.9 has 185. I'm not terribly worried about power, but I don't want to feel like I'm crawling either. I do a lot of driving, so I do want something with decent mpgs, by decent I mean not a V8...

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
You will probably get worse or close to the same as your monte carlo on gas mileage. The 4 speed auto really hurts these motors in the gas mileage department, and also in the highway driveability of it. The way GM programs them sucks and they shift into overdrive to early and back to 3rd only after heavy throttle input. For instance you are in overdrive doing 65mph and come up to a hill, unless you go over 50% throttle it will stay in overdrive and dog the hell out of the truck barely maintaining speed and likely loosing 5-10mph. With the 5 cylinder it was a very annoying thing for me until I tuned it and corrected this flaw, I could imagine it being very annoying with less power.

If the 4x4 is necessary for you stick with the 5 cylinder and you will get low 20's highway and 17-19mpg city with decent power, just that issue above I talked about will annoy you a little.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Monte Carlo actually averages about 27 mpg. I've gotten as good as 33 with it before. I'm definitely not looking for an improvement in mpg (obviously since I'm looking at a truck) but I don't wanna kill my gas bill either. I'll definitely consider getting the 3.7. The thing about it is this is such a good deal, I could almost buy the truck, sell it, and still come out ahead. VEEERRRY tempting...

·
I'm doing SCIENCE!
486 Posts
Like others have said, the 2.9 is going to feel pathetic on the 4x4, but if it's got 4.10 gearing it shouldn't be horrible. Gas mileage will... not be great. My V8 averages 17.9 highway at 80mph, the 4-banger might get a bit better, maybe low 20s? AFAIK there's no real complaints about the engine, mechanical wise.

Do make sure you try the 4x4 out in low and hi, but make sure it's not on pavement when you do it (bad for the t-case). It may make noise and clunk when you put it in low, but that's normal.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
I can get 30mpg on the highway with my 04 3.5 ........but mine is 2wd.

either way, spring the couple extra bucks for the I5 or V8....youll thank us later.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I own a 2.8 5 Speed 4x4 and it does great !! 3:73 gear... Good luck finding the perfect truck for you !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts