Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at getting some new tires and was offered a deal on some already on a wheel.
I currently have 16" Alloys and was wondering if there would be any MPG difference switching to Steel. (also 16") (wasn't able to locate a source if they weight more)

They're from a 2012 Canyon and have TPMS. Would there be any kind of relearning need to get them to work?

Also, should I be worried about the rust or can that just be sanded down and painted over and be good?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would normally choose alloy over steel - and seeing the rust and amount of tires weights on that wheel would make me keep the alloys unless they have major problems. I would think that steel will usually weigh more, but not necessarily a lot - so probably not a big MPG difference due to the wheel weight. However, MPG is also affected quite a bit by the tires themselves - rolling resistance, etc.

As long as the TPMS sensors use the same frequency as those already on your truck, I would think that a standard re-learn (as in the owner's manual) should take care of them. However, the batteries in the TPMS sensors are not replaceable and they rarely last over ten years before giving problems and causing the entire TPMS sensor to be replaced. Another reason in my book to pass on these from 2012.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is a lot of weight. As mentioned above there could be an issue with the wheels trueness. But my money is placed on the notion that the tire installer didn't pay attention to the tires balance paint marks and just installed the tires willy-nilly, notice the weight is concentrated almost directly opposite the valvestem/TPMS. Yellow dot is the heavy side of the tire and the red dot is the lighter side, usually the red dot gets lined up with the valvestem/TPMS, but there are instances where the steel wheel itself isn't heaviest at the valvestem and requires the tires beads be dislodged and the tire rotated on the wheel so the mounted tire doesnt need so much balance weight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback.
Was thinking I could use these as a backup / winter set, but I just end up getting tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts