Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to install an aftermarket headunit, no longer going to use the factory Bluetooth or onstar, I would like to use the factory microphone located in the headliner.

Does anyone know how that's routed and where I can tie into it for my new radio?

Thanks for any help!

BTW I was able to find the FM antenna and xm antenna connections behind the glove box, great junction point to connect to!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm not sure where the factory mic is located, but I'd assume the wire is routed down the driver side A pillar.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
On my 2011 Crew Cab, the mic wiring went up the left "A" pillar. The mic "went away" when I installed the console.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure where the factory mic is located, but I'd assume the wire is routed down the driver side A pillar.
It's located in the headliner close to the rearview mirror.

I was just curious if there was a disconnect/plug anywhere for it or if I would have to cut and splice.

Thanks everyone for the input!

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Okay, the Service Manual shows two inline connectors in the microphone circuit. Connector X310 is an 8 pin connector located in the left "A" pillar. The two microphone wires are Gray and Bare. The circuit also goes through inline connector X201, which is a 22 pin connector located behind the right kick panel. The connector is white or light gray and is located low in the opening, below the BCM. The two wires are the same (Gray & Bare) colors and are located next to each other at the end of one of the rows of pins. Not sure, but the wires may be twisted together in the circuit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, the Service Manual shows two inline connectors in the microphone circuit. Connector X310 is an 8 pin connector located in the left "A" pillar. The two microphone wires are Gray and Bare. The circuit also goes through inline connector X201, which is a 22 pin connector located behind the right kick panel. The connector is white or light gray and is located low in the opening, below the BCM. The two wires are the same (Gray & Bare) colors and are located next to each other at the end of one of the rows of pins. Not sure, but the wires may be twisted together in the circuit.
I've attached 3 pics, it's only a 12 pin connector, it was located behind the little access panel that is only visible when you open the passenger door. It has a grey/bare wire that are wrapped together

any chance these are the wires?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
That's the connector. The circuit goes from the microphone through the inline connector in the Driver's side pillar, across to that large connector and to the OnStar module shown in your post #7. I'm trying to find a schematic showing a routing of the harnesses under the dash.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the connector. The circuit goes from the microphone through the inline connector in the Driver's side pillar, across to that large connector and to the OnStar module shown in your post #7. I'm trying to find a schematic showing a routing of the harnesses under the dash.
I'm good to go, I'm going to tap in to it right at the large connector.

I'm just glad I didn't have to mess with the headliner or pillar.:th_woot:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
bfisher1157....

I see the two of us had the same idea. Was wondering if it ended up working out for you? I had been eyeing the microphone in my rear view mirror housing for some time wondering if it would work splicing into it but wasn't sure removing pillars and half a head liner was worth the trouble. The tap near the BCM would be a lot more convenient. If you could please let me know if it worked out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bfisher1157....

I see the two of us had the same idea. Was wondering if it ended up working out for you? I had been eyeing the microphone in my rear view mirror housing for some time wondering if it would work splicing into it but wasn't sure removing pillars and half a head liner was worth the trouble. The tap near the BCM would be a lot more convenient. If you could please let me know if it worked out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
It worked awesome!!! for mine it is the microphone in the headliner itself not in the mirror (I could take a pic). The only minor issue I had, is when I first hooked it up it didn't work because I had the polarity backwards, I flipped the wires and now it works like a champ!!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Gave it a shot and it works fine. I tapped into the same harness as shown above (fancy connector underneath passenger kick panel wires bare and gray.) I used the "body side" of the connector with enough length to re solder at a later date. Fortunately, I had the polarity correct the first time around. I removed the glove box to route the mic wire a little easier. I called my father and asked him how the quality was, he said that it was more or less the same quality as any onboard handsfree mic. So take that however you will. Still way better than coming up with another solution of mounting another mic or having annoying wires hang around the cab. Took all of about 30 minutes to connect, test and then solder and shrink wrap a final connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gave it a shot and it works fine. I tapped into the same harness as shown above (fancy connector underneath passenger kick panel wires bare and gray.) I used the "body side" of the connector with enough length to re solder at a later date. Fortunately, I had the polarity correct the first time around. I removed the glove box to route the mic wire a little easier. I called my father and asked him how the quality was, he said that it was more or less the same quality as any onboard handsfree mic. So take that however you will. Still way better than coming up with another solution of mounting another mic or having annoying wires hang around the cab. Took all of about 30 minutes to connect, test and then solder and shrink wrap a final connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Miles Lee.

I had the same idea. I want to use the factory onstar mic in my 2009 Silverado for my aftermarket head unit with Bluetooth. How did you tap the factory onstar mic into the aftermarket radio headunit?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hello Miles Lee.

I had the same idea. I want to use the factory onstar mic in my 2009 Silverado for my aftermarket head unit with Bluetooth. How did you tap the factory onstar mic into the aftermarket radio headunit?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts