Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello bfisher1157... Are you still around? I was hoping to pick your brain on this topic of tapping into the OEM OnStar mic and connecting it to the rear microphone port on my aftermarket radio. I want to do this on my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 HD pickup. Looks like you were able to do it on your vehicle. Please advise. THANKS!
Yes Hello i can confirm that this works by splicing into the onstar harness mic wires, however mine is an 04 chevy silverado & in 2004 their mic technology wasnt that great,this mic was only meant to talk to onstar for an emergency so the mic quality is horrible. everyone says that they cant hear me when im driving and its just poor quality so i suggest buying an aftermarket mic and replacing the old one!

· Registered
2005 GMC Sierra 1500 HD SLT 4WD
3 Posts
Welcome to the Nation. Some info while you wait for a reply from bfisher1157.

It looks like the microphone wires in your truck are routed down the right A pilar and connect to the OnStar Module that is located behind the passenger airbag. There is one inline connector in the circuit between the mic and the module. It is a 2 wire connector and is located "at the upper right side of the instrument panel, near the VCIM (OnStar module)" At the module, the mic wires are located in the smaller of the two connectors. One wire is Gray, the other bare.

You might be able to get access to the VCIM connectors by removing the glove box.
Thank you so much for your reply! Much appreciated. Where might I get access to any available diagrams or photographs?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts