Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 I-5 CC Z85 2WD and I bought a stock rear anti sway bar. I believe it's from a '05 ZQ8. When I went to mount it, I see that the position of the eye on the end of the bar is vertically-oriented (the hole faces the side of the truck), while the Belltech end-of-bar eye is horizontally-oriented (the hole faces up and down).

I saw this post on a search to try and see what others had done: http://www.355nation.net/forum/lowering/34509-pic-request-rear-sway-bar-frame-mounts-2.html

Some of the pics were not loading any more, but #22 does have a single shot of the bar end mount. You see there is a "Z" shaped stock link attached to the stock mount instead of being a simple long bolt w/bushings and steel washers like a Belltech.
Post #22:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w262/Slo86GT/Colorado/rado_rearswaybarmount_081510.jpg

Post #24:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4123/4895971866_fcfeec1ab3_b.jpg

Could someone please post a few pics of the stock ZQ8 2WD rear anti sway bar link and chassis mount? If you could give me an idea of measurements then perhaps with all of that I could try to get a friend w/a TIG to help me fabricate something to use my stock rear anti sway bar. It looks like the brackets for the sway bar end links mount to a frame cross-member.

Otherwise I may be forced to buy a Belltech or Hellwig. For the fabbing which I may have to have done, it may be easier to just sell the stock sway bar and buy a Belltech or Hellwig.

I bought a Belltech hardware set for the rear anti-sway bar (no bar, 'cause I had the stocker) but the bracket you weld or bolt into place is for their style bar end hole (hole faces up & down), and won't work with the stock bar (hole faces side-to-side). I can use the axle clamps from the kit, though reading the forum search contents it looks like another thing I may have to do is get 7/8" bushings for the axle bushings (stock sway bar size) because the Belltech bushings are for a 1" size, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the assistance/pics.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I will be mounting a Belltech rear sway bar on my ZQ8 soon. I will then install the old sway bar on my son's z85. We plan to have the missing two brackets fabbed and welded in place by a friend of his. That is all that will be needed to make it work.

I'll try to get a picture and/or measurement for you this weekend.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's labeled, "5521-777 Hardware Kit." Under the bag it comes in's barcode is the #: 33538434.

The instructions are labeled, rear anti-sway bar 2004 Chevy Colorado. I thought about turning the mounting bracket 90* and orienting it so the hole is facing sideways, but I didn't try it in position on the frame crossmember to see how-close it would come to working.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was thinking that you can install the angle brackets so that they take the place of the stock bracket/mount that you do not have on your truck. I would get them welded in place and you should be all set. Sounds like you had the same idea. Should work fine.

I still owe you a picture.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion, if you can send a pic or two, I would appreciate it, of the setup you had done. I think that cross-member might need some gussetting to take the load. Maybe an end-result box section once the welding is done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts