Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I need to correct my pinion angle? I got a 06 ZQ8 ext. cab. Im going for 3" blocks in the rear. I know JTR sells shims to correct the angle, if I do need them which size would I need to go with?

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
only use shims if you need them. You should be fine. I only know of 2-3 people that shimmed there rear end and I dont think they had a real good reason for doing it. They were just being precausish

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
I went with the 3" Belltech Blocks, then the 2" Belltech Blocks.....both with the pinion angle built in. Whether or not you "need" to is irrelevant IMO. It makes sense to have the angle corrected so you might as well get the right stuff just to be safe. It's not gonna hurt anything going with those blocks/shims and it's not going to be more expensive or anything, so I'd get 'em....:355:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
there is no way to tell if you need them or not without using an angle finder after the blocks are installed. the point is to have 1-2° of pinion angle at ride height. anymore and you are likely to have vibrations, and if you have no pinion angle the needle bearings wont grease themselves. most people get away without any and never have a problem. static drop on our trucks without a notch i seriously doubt you will need any shims, but if you are a stiffler check the pinion angle with an angle finder.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Even with a 4" block?

I'm looking at having a set of 4" blocks machined out of solid aluminum and am trying to figure out if I need the shim and if so, to what degree. Because if I do, I want them incorporated into the block itself.

X

·
0 Posts
do i need anything with the jtr 2.5 or 3 blocks?? shims or pinion angles??? idk

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
I would personally get the blocks with the angle built in already. [email protected] made a good point when I ordered mine. He said sometimes the shims will blow out or something like that. It's better to have just one solid piece in there rather than 2.

So that's why I went with the pre-angled ones. But I think only Belltech makes them, not positive though...

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
Tom at streetbeat also told me that the colorado rarely requires a angled block.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
no there is no generic answer, it all boils down to the exact truck. and nobody can say for sure without using an angle finder to know for sure.
Exactly. If you really wanna get to the exact and prolong your u-joints and needle bearings you need to use an angle finder and place it on the driveshaft with the truck on the ground at ride height. Then once you lower the truck you need to check the driveshaft again and find out how many degrees its off from where it was stock and use that angle shim or close to it for maximum lubrication of the needle bearings inside the ujoints.

But seriously tho i think our trucks dont need that unless your slammed beyond like 5 inches or somethin. If you are you should prob look at replacing ujoints every 30k miles anyway :mc:

X

·
0 Posts
well you both are fuckin awesome and idk anything about lowering so yall are helpin out alot

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
haha, i say it and get "suit yourself bro" and turbizzy says it and gets a "thanks great info". damnit i suck.
You suck bitch :quit:

HAHA im jk bro. These guys just like me, i can tell them i fucked their 9 year old neice with a LED lightbar and they'll ask me where they can buy one at lol!!!!

jk guys :salute:

One thing i forgot to mention is get some ujoints with grease zerks and just add grease to em every other oil change or somethin for extreme drops.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts