Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been having weird electrical problems starting to happen on my 05 xtreme. It has all started after I installed and used this trailer wiring kit:

Now for the problems. First I had a left brake light go out. No biggie. Replaced it and seems to be working fine. Next I had a right front DRL, also the blinker, go out. Replaced it, no issues. Then my cruise decided to stop working. Checked the fuse and it's not popped and that's as far as I went. My dimmer switch by the headlight switch has never worked before now it has started working. Uhhhh???? The compass and temp gauge in the rear view mirror does not work now for some reason. The lights still work on both sides just not the compass/temp. I have a back up camera that is very moody and it didn't work most of the time so I just let it be. Now it has decided to start working no problem.

This has all started to happen within the past 2 weeks after I pulled a small 5 x 8 trailer with the wiring harness.

So what I'm getting at is, could the trailer harness possibly be causing all the problems or is this just the nature of our trucks? Any insight or past experiences would be helpful.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Could be from the wiring kit. Check over your wires you tapped into and make sure you got the correct wires. I also would not use the T-taps with the kit. Over time they corrode or don't give a good solid connection. Use butt connectors with or without heat shrink. i had problems with my trailer wiring and light bar setup, I finally just took out and started over. Now i have no issues. Good luck , wiring can be a pain

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well i just looked at the kit, it is a plug in , correct ? no splicing ? If its plug and play, it could be faulty. Disconnect it and see what happens. Also check your ground

1 - 6 of 6 Posts