Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After test driving a handful of trucks, I’ve noticed there’s a really strong, bad smelling ‘new car smell’ in these Colorado’s.

Isn’t this the glue, epoxy, adhesives they use, which if you were to purchase for home use, the label would say toxic fumes / use in well ventilated area?

Do these trucks have a very strong smell across the board?

Has this bothered anyone else upon delivery?

What can I do to speed up the process of getting rid of it upon delivery, besides driving with the windows down?

Unfortunately, somewhat nauseating.

Thanks. :(

·
Internet Troll
1,252 Posts
New car smell comes from a number of different materials in the process of making the new vehicle. From the carpet, plastic interior components, etc and not just adhesives. My son is sensitive to chemical odors so he has his car with the windows open when it's in the garage to minimize the "new car smell" in his 2019.

Not much you can do except wait out the smell if you go new....my used low mile 2016 Equinox still has the new car smell and not the car wash crap they say smells like new cars they dump in most rentals. That stuff has never smelled the same as a new car to me.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Carbon is good to absorb odor. Crush some charcoal briquets in small pieces and put them on aluminum pie pans and leave in the vehicle when not driving it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
How about a box of baking soda that they use in a refrige? I used to put backing soda under carpet that had been wet, of course after the car had been dried out. It helped getting any minor mildew smell out. I doubt it would work on a flood damaged car.
Luck

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
I use coffee beans in a mason jar in my cruiser. I just poked a few holes in the lid and it works pretty well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts