Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little stumped on this one- both of my front brakes just started locking up today on my 2008 4x4 Colorado . I have been smelling burning brakes randomly when I go to park on and off a couple times over the last few days. Today I could feel my brakes dragging on the car when coasting. When I got to work both my front rims were hot and I had some smoke coming up.

I just did my left hub and brand new rotors, pads, bracket and slider pins 2-3 months ago. When I did them at that time the calipers appeared fine and pushed in no issue.

How does both of my calipers jam up on me at the same time 2-3 months later? Or could it be something other than the caliper?

I have heard the rubber brake line could collapse- but what are the odds both go at the same time? And how do you diagnose that?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Sometimes, the brake lines deteriorate on the inside and cause a blockage. There is great pressure when fluid is going into the caliper, but sort of "passive" pressure when you release the brake pedal. The pressure to push the piston is sufficient to make it through the flexible hose, but the release of the brake pedal is not sufficient. The best way to tell if the flexible line is clogged is to open the bleeder valve. Jack up one of the front wheels and pump the brakes a few times then try to turn the wheel. If it is locked up, and the wheel won't turn, loosen the bleeder valve. If brake fluid comes shooting out under pressure, that means the flexible line is clogged. If this doesn't happen, follow the flexible hose to where it connects to metal tubing, and loosten the connection there. If fluid comes out under pressure, then your clog is above the flexible hose. If no fluid comes squirting out there, then you have a caliper problem.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My next trouble at the moment is that when I got in the truck after work the brakes are no longer stuck. Making this an intermittent problem- which sucks, because that makes this difficult to test and reproduce.

I want to bleed the brakes maybe Sunday and maybe monitor it from there. Hoping it is a brake hose related issue as that would make for a fairly easy fix

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I had a problem with my brake pedal sticking and not coming all the way up. Occasionally, I'd feel the brakes grabbing and I would have to use my left foot to raise the brake pedal up to the top. Eventually I sprayed a bunch of WD40 under the dash where the brake pedal was attached and that seems to have taken care of the problem. Didn't happen all of the time, just occasionally and I noticed that it felt like I was dragging an anchor behind my truck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pedal is coming all the way up in this case.
Does anyone know how to test the abs module to rule it out of being the issue? I replaced the calipers today- all seems ok so far. But after I had bled the brakes the rotors appeared a little difficult to turn by hand again. I tried cracking the bleeder valve and it made no difference.
With my tire on, if I spin the tire I get maybe a half rotation before it stops. To me I think this is too tight, but maybe it is normal?

That being said, I took it for a 10 min drive and did not smell any brakes burning and the rims were still cold.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The calipers slide on the pins that mount them. When you replaced the calipers, did you clean up those pins and put a little grease on them and make sure the little rubber seals on the capipers were in good shape to keep debris from getting in there? Th pistons in the calipers press the brake pad against the inside of the rotor and that also pulls the caliper in to make the outer brake pad press against the fixed outer brake pad. If the caliper isn't allowing the caliper to slide easily, the outer - or fixed pad - stay pressed against the rotor. When you replaced the calipers, did you notice more wear on the outer pad than the inner pad?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both pads looked worn evenly. They had a little white residue on them but I think I got them before they were actually glazed.
I had done the bracket and sliders in October and verified that they were still greased up and free moving.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'm thinking that whatever the problem was you took care of it when you replaced the calipers then. Sounds like you've covered all the bases on this one. Good job.

·
Registered
77 Posts
you dont show your location! that along with how well you care for your ride has good or not results. sometimes age is the issue as rubber parts die slow or fast depending on the mentioned items. check out the cheap first if you DIY it or hopefully you have an honest independent you use for things other than simple oil changes, good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts