Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am thinkin about making my own sub box to go between my seats in the back on my extended cab canyon. has anyone done this with theres yet? i couldnt find a how to so if anyone has made there own sub box could you send me a PM so i know what kind of wood and stuff to use. Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
The best wood to use is MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard I believe is what that means.) That is the stuff that most boxes are built from. You could alway use the cheap plywood, but the fiberboard is the way to go IMO...

Gorilla glue and nails will also hold put one hell of a hold on that thing.

There is plenty of room between the Xcab's rear seats to fit a good size sub back there. I have seen one done before, but can't remember who did it. It was just a box sitting in between the seats with a cupholder on top of it.. Looked pretty good actually.

Sorry I can't be of more help..

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the info. That will help me out tho. I am gonna try to takle it this weekend. Now all i need is a sub and an amp. thanks blurred

·
Registered
193 Posts
blurreds right mdf and wood glue works great. jl audio makes a stealth box for between the seats. thats what im gonna do but im makin mine. i just went to JL Audio: Products to print pics of the box. also they make theirs to retain the jack and cup holder. hope this helps :355:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i ordered my pioneer premier shallow sub and i am going with a pioneer amp but i dont know which one yet. i am gonna bulid the box from the back wall to the front of the seats in the back and its gonna be 15 inches tall by 10 inches by 15 inches long.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Pretty sure I have a rough drawing of my box somewhere... not 100% sure though... I'll have to look on my computer at the house. If that's the direction you're still leaning toward.

·
.:: MR. September ::.
247 Posts
i ordered my pioneer premier shallow sub and i am going with a pioneer amp but i dont know which one yet. i am gonna bulid the box from the back wall to the front of the seats in the back and its gonna be 15 inches tall by 10 inches by 15 inches long.
dude, that box is gonna have way to much air space for shallow mount subs. google up air space calculator then look and see what air space is required for your subs, then put different dimensions in and calculate what your HxWxL is gonna need to be. shallow mount subs require little amounts of air space.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
dude, that box is gonna have way to much air space for shallow mount subs. google up air space calculator then look and see what air space is required for your subs, then put different dimensions in and calculate what your HxWxL is gonna need to be. shallow mount subs require little amounts of air space.

Yeah, never thought of that... Mine is perfect for 2 12" but if you're going with 10's or something you might want to check that out. I've got 1.25 cubic feet measured out from the insdie of the box so... it might be something to look at.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

:yeahthat:

with the demensions your working with, you have plenty of room for a regular 10'' or 12'' sub

-also with what ever sub you decide to go with, just look up the specs. for the proper air space. then go from there

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what will happen if i ahve to much air space? will it just sound like complete shit or what?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Depending on how off you are... it greatly reduces the output of the speaker. So yeah, it could potentially sound like shit.

Just look at the requirement of the speakers for recommended airspace and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i cant find anywhere on the spec sheet for the sub about air space it needs. can you guys help me out with this. i am new to all this. TS-SW251 that is the sub i am going with.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Pioneer TSSW251 Shallow Mount 10 Inch 800 Watts Subwoofer

Music Power: 800 Watts
Nominal Power Handling: 200 Watts
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 144Hz
Sensitivity (Efficiency): 89 dB
Impedance: 4 Ohm
Magnet Weight:36 oz
Recommended Enclosure Size:0.45 cu. Ft. (0.35 - 0.7 cu. ft.)

You should be fine if you do 2 subs.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
someone else built a box like that...goes between the jumper seats from the back of the cab up to the console with the sub firing to the side...was trying to find a pic of it but cant remember whos it is

1 - 20 of 34 Posts