Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of hearing rumors and sneak pics of what is to come.
I decided to find out for myself what the new GMT 700 platform was all about.
Not just what you see on the internet, but what makes the new platform tick from the inside out.

My plan is to do a three segment review of the new GMT 700 platform.
Part 1 is to get familiar, 2nd is to put it on a lift and take it apart and the 3rd is to review the other twin, 2015 Chevy Colorado Z71.

My first task was to download the O/S and see what the GM guru's were up to!
HPTuners, You can download this O/S file from HPTuners "Tune Repository" 2015 GMC CANYON 3.6L.
NOTE: HPT has not approved of my uploaded file yet. You can request a file copy from me by sending me an email to: [email protected]
You will need HPT BETA 2.25 to be able to view/edit the file.

Facts
PCM: E92 SIDI
TCM: T43 A6

ODBIII Port located above the emergency brake pedal.

Hood with struts

Wide radiator with Efan, under the hood fuse box, Battery and windshield wiper reservoir.

Battery wedged in the driver side corner. I noticed the Battery Charging controller is now located on top of the battery.
I saw a shunt and possibly a battery temperature sensor.

THE PCM

Fuse Box

Chassis View

Transfercase and yoke

Not sure what this is?

Transfercase

Large U joints and yoke

Evap

Love the driver side mirror with the little blind spot mirror.

Exhaust

Under the transmission and exhaust cross pipe

Front Suspension

Plastic Skid plate

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
re: SuperMod & rfross Review: (Part 1) 2015 GMC CANYON

Now for the test drive vehicle. 2015 GMC CANYON

The first impression that came to mind was a baby Sierra with a high price tag.
The overdone chrome trim was a turn off. The halogen projector head lights look dim with a amber hue.
The wheels size doesn't look proportional to the body. Maybe some 33"s rocking 20" rims.
My other peeve was the side mirrors.
The driver side mirror has the upper left corner blind spot mirror (mirror in a mirror) and NOT on the passenger side mirror.

The more I got familiar with the truck, going over the added features and roomy, refined interior.
My opinion started to change. As I opened the driver door, I noticed the refined luxury seats that are made for comfort.
The dash board layout, steering wheel controls and center console was self intuitive. Stupid proof!
I touched every button and controls to see what they did. The head unit was full of menus to configure your smart phone and life style of entertainments.

The test drive: I started up the truck and notice how quite the engine was. Adjusted the driver seat, side and center mirrors.
Put on my seat belt and put it into gear. Pushed the gas pedal and I could feel the low gear of the 6 speed transmission changing from 1st, 2nd then 3rd. Shifting felt very smooth and seemed spot on.
At this point I was at about 30 mph, then I slammed on the brakes to see how the brakes responded to a sudden stop.
The brake pedal was about half way and I had plenty of more braking power to go. The truck slowed down without skidding.
Traction control kicked in. Usually on other vehicles you could feel the traction control pulsing but not on this truck. It was a smooth linear stop!

My next test was driving on a local 55 mph highway (RT.22). Leaving the dealership I gunned the throttle from a dead stop to a wide open throttle.
I could feel 1st, 2nd, 3rd then a long delay before going into 4th. I had the V6 revved to the 6.2K rpm limit. Then 4th finally kicked in and we were doing the 55 MPH speed limit in no time. My thoughts at this moment were, being a HPTuner Sales and Services, I could see some subtle shifting improvements needed in this shifting region with a reduction of TC.
The front coil suspension gave the truck a comfy ride. I tried to hit every NJ pot hole. The truck still road great!

Over all: The new Canyon platform is a great re-design but limited in its chassis selections. No regular cab or ZQ8 platform.
The stance on the Z85 was so high that I could slide under it. Just put some 33" wheels on it and your already lifted!

My salesman Jimmy, demonstrating all the new features and goodies the new Canyon offers.

2015 GMC CANYON

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts

This should give everyone a good idea what it will take to modify these things in no time... or at least what to expect when the aftermarket world catches up with the truck.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts

Sweeeeet

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

I was hoping the Bossman had bought

LFX V6 and transmission should have a decent amount of files out there with HPTuners; seeing the LFX is the same RPO code for the V6 Camaro

I can't wait to go test one

·
Premium Member
597 Posts

I was setting up a GM event today at GM's corporate headquarters in the RenCen in downtown Detroit and there were two trucks on the floor - a Canyon 4x4 All Terrain and a Colorado 2wd LT. I shot similar photos of the All Terrain undercarriage as James and was going to post them but they would just be redundant - except for one. This one is shot under the All Terrain and shows its transfer case skid plate.

Jame's photo is apparently of a non Z71 4x4 which doesn't have the skid plate.

The skid plate doesn't look like much in the photo or in person and it doesn't cover much except the lowest point of the transfer case. If you can't spot it it's the black kind of spoon like shape bolted to the cross member on the right and pointing to the left under the transfer case.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Good stuff. Thanks, Supermod.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts

On a side note somebody on here was asking about whether the rear side windows on the extended cab roll down. They don't - they're fixed glass.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

I played with a new Colorado yesterday. Saw the salesperson coming across the lot, so I hopped in the car and left haha. Didnt feel like putting up with him at the time. I like the EZ down tailgate a lot!

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts

No torsion bars ?!?!?
Nice write up !!

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts

I saw a crew cab z71 longbed loaded up and it didn't excite me enough for the pricetag of $38,600. The diesel is going to be stupid expensive if the gas jobs can almost hit $40K loaded, on the cruze it is about a $4000 jump from base to diesel.

·
Registered
491 Posts

I saw a crew cab z71 longbed loaded up and it didn't excite me enough for the pricetag of $38,600. The diesel is going to be stupid expensive if the gas jobs can almost hit $40K loaded, on the cruze it is about a $4000 jump from base to diesel.
A loaded diesel will be approaching $45K. Prepare yourself.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts

No torsion bars ?!?!?
At least on the non-z71 4x4.

Anyone got pics of the z71 front suspension?

·
Members Technical Staff
2,498 Posts

Very good write-up.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

all of that un-rusted goodness, love the interior

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts

Nicely done. Hope this thread can become an informative thread, not one with a lot of unnecessary comments behind it (much like this one).

Nice to see clean photos and a well thought out post with useful information.

Thank you for sharing. The first two posts should answer many of the lingering questions that are asked daily.

Sticky?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts