Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 672 Posts

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SuperModulation Model SFAN4500 Electric Cooling Fan (efan).

The first efan kit designed for the Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon / ISUZU / Holden / Hummer H3 vehicles.

Fan Specifications:
* Speed - 1500 to 4500 CFM's, highest rating on the market.
* Low power consumption, normal driving conditions - 186* to 205*. Low speed = 4 to 13 amps, Hi speed = 15 to 35 amps.
* Automatic resettable circuit breaker included.
* Custom HIGH AMPERAGE PWM controller specifically programmed to match the I4, I5 and V8 temp curves.
* Includes all brackets, hardware and screws.
* Light weight and durable black aluminum fan frame.
* Drop in design.
* No cutting, No drilling.
* Pre-wired, Only 4 electrical connections that plug/bolt in to your fuse box.
* Main Power wire harness is 10 gauge wrapped in wire loom for durability.
* Low noise. Normal operation is 55 dBa to 85 dBa at 10 ft. away, hood closed.
* Installation with the proper tools should take less than 2 hours.

=======================================================================

Installation:

Tools:
36mm, 1/4" thin wall open end wrench. (fan nut)
1/2" socket. (radiator bracket)
1/2" wrench (radiator bracket)
10mm socket. (battery post and ground bolt located behind battery)
3/8" torque bar. (tighten idle pulley)
45 degree wedge.
Wire cutters.

Installation procedure:
Step 1. Remove negative battery cable from battery.
Step 2. Remove DRL/Grille.
Step 3. Remove fan shroud.
Step 4. Remove mechanical Fan.
Step 5. (Optional) With high pressure air, blow out radiator dirt, bugs etc.

Remove Mechanical Fan.

SFAN4500 Installation:

=============================================================

Testimony by TBIRDNNY, 2005 Chevy Colorado I5 3.5L 4X4 Z71:

Testing:

The Supermodulation Model SFAN4500 efan test fixture.
Each efan gets tested and calibrated for assured quality control.
All you have to do is install it, wire it and forget about it!

This video demonstrates a typical cold to warm-up conditions then to severe hot conditions.

Fits ALL years Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon, H3 Hummer, I5 3.5L/3.7L Motors

Price: Contact me for the new price!

We offer free installation with every efan sale.

Email: [email protected]
Voice: 732-690-6443

·
Premium Member
9,764 Posts
re: SuperModulation EFAN Model SFAN4500 Electric Cooling Fan Kit, Installation & Prices

Very nice and a job well done!

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re: SuperModulation EFAN Model SFAN4500 Electric Cooling Fan Kit, Installation & Prices

So does this mean you are making more fan kits?
If there's enough interest in my efan design I will continue making them.:thumbup:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

Damn it, now I need to scrape some cash up for this one!

I saw this at the NESM and its a solid design, as with any Supermod product.

Gerry was telling me he picked up 1 mpg with his Supermod eFan.

·
"ALL JACKED UP"
2,448 Posts

Does anyone know if there's a performance differance other than picking up 1mpg? I would think there would have too with less drag on the engine.

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SuperModulation EFAN Model SFAN4500 Electric Cooling Fan Kit, Installation & Prices

Does anyone know if there's a performance difference other than picking up 1mpg?
Many write-ups have claimed 17HP improvement from a electrical fan but my Dyno butt says realistically about 10HP.
The fuel improvement isn't were you think it is.
Since the OEM fan has to work more at idle or lower RPM's to maintain cooling.
The MPG gain is at city driving more than highway.

Here's a simple formula to justify the replacement of the mechanical fan.

For example let say the mechanical fan needs 10 HP to function.
A efan running at full speed consumes 20 amps @ 14.4v = 288 watts.
With out going in to full detail let's say for every 1 HP equals 500 watts of power, don't assume 745.7 Watts is a realist HP to watts conversion. What about mechanical loss? belt etc..
Your gasoline engine has to produce 0.6 HP to power a efan running at 20 amps @ 288 watts.

So the bottom line is a 9.4 HP gain!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Many write-ups have claimed 17HP improvement from a electrical fan but my Dyno butt says realistically about 10HP.

With out going in to full detail let's say for every 1 HP equals 500 watts of power, don't assume 745.7 Watts is a realist HP to watts conversion. What about mechanical loss? belt etc..
Your gasoline engine has to produce 0.6 HP to power a efan running at 20 amps @ 288 watts.

Excellent explaination James!

·
Premium Member
483 Posts

i think i need that my truck runs hotter in the summer time how much are they going to be going for

·
Registered
117 Posts
Supermodulation;Many write-ups have claimed 17HP improvement from a electrical fan but my Dyno butt says realistically about 10HP. The fuel improvement isn't were you think it is. Since the OEM fan has to work more at idle or lower RPM's to maintain cooling. The MPG gain is at city driving more than highway. Here's a simple formula to justify the replacement of the mechanical fan. For example let say the mechanical fan needs 10 HP to function. A efan running at full speed consumes 20 amps @ 14.4v = 288 watts. With out going in to full detail let's say for every 1 HP equals 500 watts of power said:
I thought 1 electrical horsepower is 746 Watts?

·
2009&10 SESM Coordinator
1,360 Posts

James was just trying to Keep It Simple. Yes 1 HP is equal to 745.7 watts. With that being said and using James precise butt dyno, {[(10 HP * 745.7 watts/HP) - 288 watts] / 745.7 watts/HP} = 9.6 HP gain!

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The point to my calculation was to demonstrate regardless if it was 1000 watts to 1 HP or 500 watts to 1 HP that there is a potential gain by doing this upgrade.

The 746 watts to 1 HP formula is if this was a perfect world and there wasn't a loss in energy.
The power plant, known as the alternator is a very inefficient and a very crude design to produce electrical power.
Since the alternator relies on variable mechanical energy rotation of the armature.
The magnetic field (EMF) collapse and energy loss in heat across the rectifiers contributes to the loss's in the power to HP conversion.

In my real world experience I have found the conversion to be about 500 to 550 watts on a GM S12 alternator.

Thanks for your input!:high5:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

I'm interested. Do you have a estimated cost?

·
NEC Skunkworks mod squad
408 Posts

The point to my calculation was to demonstrate regardless if it was 1000 watts to 1 HP or 500 watts to 1 HP that there is a potential gain by doing this upgrade.

The 746 watts to 1 HP formula is if this was a perfect world and there wasn't a loss in energy.
The power plant, known as the alternator is a very inefficient and a very crude design to produce electrical power.
Since the alternator relies on variable mechanical energy rotation of the armature.
The magnetic field collapse and energy loss in heat across the rectifiers contributes to the loss's in the power to HP conversion.

In my real world experience I have found the conversion to be about 500 to 550 watts on a GM S12 alternator.
:high5:
Reminds me of the scarecrow after he recieved his "brain".

Way to go James!:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts

I'm saving my pennies. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
2009&10 SESM Coordinator
1,360 Posts

Without revealing any trade secrets, what redesigning / value engineering are you doing? Will the controller still function the same without any compromises? Any idea of expected price range? I am also very interested! Saving my pennies and swimming in wishing wells picking up change all across the south east.

·
Administrator
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Without revealing any trade secrets, what redesigning / value engineering are you doing? Will the controller still function the same without any compromises? Any idea of expected price range? I am also very interested! Saving my pennies and swimming in wishing wells picking up change all across the south east.
Improving the event cycling adaptation and increasing the averages to minimize spikes and transients. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 672 Posts