Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
681 - 696 of 696 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have this efan and am wondering if it is functioning properly on my 06. Description says it has a low and high speed but I only ever get one speed no matter how hot the truck gets. Same speed as when ac is on which I am assuming is low. Anyone ever notice theirs kick into high or is it basically just on or off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you saying you're having a issue with the engine overheating when you say " no matter how hot the truck gets"?
You could say that, but the issue is more of why the fan won't kick into higher speeds as the temp rises like I believe it is supposed to. The fan runs at the same speed when engine temps are 220 driving up a mountain pass in 100 degree weather as they do when the engine is cold and the AC is on. Fan speed is definitely too low and not anywhere close to 4500cfm.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
If your running the inline coolant sensor to control the fan I believe it's a single on/off switch meaning 1 speed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If it's not overheating it's working in my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your running the inline coolant sensor to control the fan I believe it's a single on/off switch meaning 1 speed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If it's not overheating it's working in my opinion.
Hmm ok. Are you just saying that based on how those fan wiring systems work in general or specifically for the Supermodulation fan? It does overheat which it never should. Especially since I have an aluminum ECP radiator which is essentially the best one money can buy for our trucks. I should never see 220+ no matter what I'm doing. Since it only gets that hot at low speeds (40 mph or lower, granted only in summer going uphill or in 100+ temps idling for a long time) all signs point to the fan.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Is your sensor in the radiator fins or bottom hose? Thoughts come to mind, proper radiator cap psi, coolant mixture and air in the system.
not sure how much help this is, but on my 2012 I was able to read the amperage draw with a Clamp-On meter. The readings I got were about 12.6 amps and 33 amps. Coincidently high draw is always associated with A/C on and low draw with the inline hose temp sensor, which according to my scan-gauge is about 192*. (Naturally, testing was parked outside in 100* heat) Its very hard to audibly tell if the fan speed is faster, hence I'm assuming more amp draw, higher the CFM's. I've only seen a handful of times my truck reaching 212* in long stop-n-go traffic. I do have a spacer in my T-Stat and true 50/50 mix of antifreeze. I've tested and found 1 cup of distilled water and 1 cup of antifreeze mix is not always 50/50 even though we've been taught that for years. Using a Prestone gauge is much more accurate.

(3) 70%+ Antifreeze not good at cooling :( | Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum (355nation.net)

681 - 696 of 696 Posts