Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One more review for right now!

I did my usual Fall/Pre-Winter detail on my 2011 Colorado this past weekend. Tried out a few new products and switched the majority of my products to SCG Pro Line. For my Last Step Product (LSP) I choose the new SCG Pro Acrylic Shield Paint Sealant and I couldn't be happier. When I first popped open the bottle there was a strong chemical smell which made me think I was getting an actual product and not just something that smelt like flowers. Second thing I noticed was how thick and cream like the sealant was, I had never seen any other sealant like that... Most of the sealants I have used have been thin and/or runny.

I used a Flex 3401 VRG on Speed 2 with a Black Pad (Red/Crimson Pad is recommended but I did not have one handy) to apply the sealant. Not very much sealant was required on the pad, a little seemed to go a long ways. I was using somewhere between a nickel and quarter size drop of it at a time as needed. Went on pretty easy with the machine.

I did also do my OEM "Chrome" wheels by hand with a SCG Blue Applicator Pad to apply it.

As I worked around the vehicle it gave enough time for the first panel to cure (about 15 minutes is what I gave it) as I was finishing the last panel. As I started removing the excess remaining on the panels I couldn't help but notice how slick the panels felt and how effortlessly the towel moved across the paint. This made me feel like there was more than just sealant on the paint. I understand sealant is a paint protectant from the elements but no other sealant that I've used before made me actually feel like there was a layer of something over the top of the paint and clear coat... That is what I am most impressed with in this product!

The only downfall I noticed (but there is an upside) is that ASPS is a little difficult to remove from the paint. But it's much better than some other sealant products out there that take 12-24 hours to fully cure. I did find it a little easier to remove using SCG Pro Detail Spray.

All in all I love the new ASPS from Surf City Garage. It is certainly the best sealant I've used to date with Hydro-Seal coming it at a close 2nd. This offers great protection and am hoping it to last through most of the winter months with maybe just an occasional touch up here and there to the lower panels. I really like what it's done so far!

The truck came out looking great! (Photo's taken with an iPhone 6 forgot my DSLR)

And bonus flexing...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, 3 weeks later my truck is a muddy mess and the ASPS is beading like a champ!

I always take pictures of my hood with beading for 2 reasons... Its a flat surface and shows the beading best and it is also the hottest panel on a car which would degrade the protection the fastest.

3 weeks & 800 miles later there is no sign of degradation of any sort! ASPS has held up extremely well since I applied it! It has also been 2 weeks since it's last bath.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please delete this on Oct 31st 2014... SCG Has let go their Pro Line Development Employee and begun to heavily censor their forum. My account was suspended for asking what happened to the Pro Line and their Employee.

Be warned not to buy these products as they will not be backed by the company or have anyone to support questions regarding them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No idea Rich... I wish I could see the link you posted but I got suspended for asking about what happened.

I got on the forum yesterday to ask him a question about a product and noticed his account had changed drastically. His profile picture was gone, signature gone and his name had a Guest prefix "Guest_Dylan...". So I hopped on Facebook and sent him a message that way. I don't like doing that because I hate when people message me about work on Facebook... He basically said he was let go yesterday and had no idea why or that it was even coming. I asked why on SCG Forum and my account got suspended.

Not sure if the Pro Line didn't sell as well as they thought it would in 6 months but they barely gave it a chance if you ask me. I have no idea what happened. I mean they didn't have Pro Polish until a month ago and its the end of the detailing season. Not to mention only 1 reseller had the chance to carry the products. The CEO didn't even give it a chance.

·
Super Moderator
13,692 Posts
This is the announcement on the SCG forum....

Posted Today, 06:17 AM
As some of you may have heard, Dylan von Kleist is no longer with SCG Brands. On behalf of the many enthusiasts at Surf City Garage, we would like to wish Dylan the best in his future endeavors.

We have received a few questions about the SCG Professional Line products. As usual, you will find them all available athttp://surfcitygarag...ofessional.html.

As always, if you have technical questions or need any advice on detailing or our products, simply post right here in the Forum.

Thanks,
Matt
SCG Brands
I hate it when companies come out with so called "Professional" lines. I think it sends a message that our "regular" products suck, but if you spend more we have these other products that are good. It just seems like a marketing ploy to get customers to spend more. These are just different chemical formulations after all is said and done.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I meant vague on what they are going to do with the Pro-Line. I mean once you get rid of the guy who designed the products how are you supposed to support them and move forward? I doubt Matt or Tim learned everything they needed to in 6 months to run a Pro Line by themselves.

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
This is the announcement on the SCG forum....

I hate it when companies come out with so called "Professional" lines. I think it sends a message that our "regular" products suck, but if you spend more we have these other products that are good. It just seems like a marketing ploy to get customers to spend more. These are just different chemical formulations after all is said and done.
its kind of how i felt with some meguiars products. You have their quik detailer and then their ultimate quik detailer. Is the ultimate quik detailer that much better???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts