Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I installed a Readylift kit (69-3070, 2.25F/1.5R) on my 2009 Canyon SLE and now I'm getting groans out of the torsion bars. Is that normal?

This is my first lift kit ever. After doing the work myself I took it to my mechanic to have the wheels aligned and also asked them to look over the kit - the only thing they had to say was that the kit is "safe."

I hear a groan when I'm braking, or turning a corner at a modest speed of 10-15 mph. It's hard to isolate but it sounds like the noise is from both the front and mid-section of the truck. Maybe I need to remove the torsion keys and grease the fitting?

Thanks,
Adam

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Sorry man, no idea.

Installing a kit or cranking torsion keys, it's all the same thing and they don't groan usually.
It isn't really 'installing a lift', it it just cranking the torsion bars more than the stock setting.

Do me a favor when you get time. Measure from the center of your front hub straight up until the bottom of the fender lip and post it up. Not from the ground and not jacked up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. It is definitely puzzling. Maybe the adjustment screws are cranked to hard? I measured the bolt tail length before starting and put it back the same, but I'm the 3rd owner of this truck so not positive it was factory setting when I installed the kit.

From center of hub to lip:
Driver side front - 23.25 in.
Pass. side front - 23.75 in.

There is a half inch difference between the two sides.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Bolt length has nothing to do with anything, so never mind that. The bolts are meant as adjustment and will vary through the life of the vehicle.

The measurements you listed are low enough...so I can't imagine any bad sounds as a result.

I sit at 24", 24.5 is max (without consequence).

That's a lot off from side to side though. Too bad the alignment shop didn't adjust that for you. Oh well.

But yeah, nothing I can think of that is causing the angry sounding torsion bars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I made some progress this weekend. Disassembled the driver's side and notice the torsion key was tight to the frame rail so when putting everything back together I made sure to space it away from the rail. That took care of some of the noise but I was still getting some creaks which seems to have gone away with lowering the front end a bit. I leveled both sides at 38" from a flat surface (garage floor to bottom lip of fender). That seems to be a good height for the over sized tires [265/70r17]. I will drive it around this week, get it off road over the weekend, and hopefully move on to bigger and better projects... turbo anyone?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I think I made some progress this weekend. Disassembled the driver's side and notice the torsion key was tight to the frame rail so when putting everything back together I made sure to space it away from the rail. That took care of some of the noise but I was still getting some creaks which seems to have gone away with lowering the front end a bit. I leveled both sides at 38" from a flat surface (garage floor to bottom lip of fender). That seems to be a good height for the over sized tires [265/70r17]. I will drive it around this week, get it off road over the weekend, and hopefully move on to bigger and better projects... turbo anyone?
Measure from the center of the hub to the bottom fender lip of the front fenders. Not from the floor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts