Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little back ground to set the stage:

I have a 2007 Colorado LT Extended Cab Z71 4x4 (only 36,000 miles!) that I ended up with when my Father passed away a couple months ago, it was his farm truck and sat outside for almost 15 years, so I did have to do a lot of work to bring it back to life. Earlier this week I had it in the shop to replace all fluids, and replace all brakes, as I don't think it had any maintenance done to it for 15 years.

My mechanic told me he had a wrecked 2012 Colorado in the back of the shop, so when I looked at it, there were 18" 7 spoke chrome wheels on it that are the 2011-2012 Colorado Canyon P31 Wheel Option, and he said I could buy the wheels cheap if I purchased a set of tires from him that he had for over a year and wanted them gone. The tires turned out to be Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/18, and were shipped to him over a year ago, from a customer that was supposed to have them installed, but he never heard from the customer for over a year. He started at $1200, but we ended up at $750 total ! (I think well over $2000 worth of wheels/tires).

I want to install them on my little truck, especially because the stock tires are 15 years old and cracked badly, but the new tires are 33.5" tall when aired up and I'm sure will rub and hit everything in the fender. Stock rims and tires on the truck now are 265/65/15 and are about 30" tall. Both tire setups are a little over 10" wide. I do not want to cut up or bend things too much to make them fit, even if they would be able to fit.

My Mechanic suggested installing a 3" Body Lift Kit, (cheaper than Suspension Lift), hence my questions. (BTW, this truck will probably never be off roaded)

Is one better than the other, Suspension Lift vs Body Lift?, what reason to people prefer one over the other?, handling?: functionality? price? (besides the obvious seeing the frame more visible under the truck with a Body Lift). Would 3" Body Lift be enough for tire clearance? How expensive are one over the other? Also, I drive about 200 miles a day for work, and I don't want to do something that messes too much with the drivability or causes excessive wear on the suspension components.

Sorry for the excessive story rambling, but I am so excited by the great wheel/tire deal I got! I just hope I can take advantage of it. I do not want to blow all the money I saved on a lift.

Here is the truck as it sits now.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Car
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
How big of tires do you want to go with? Doing a suspension lift will require a different offset than the factory so if you're going with the factory wheels a body lift will only work with them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How big of tires do you want to go with? Doing a suspension lift will require a different offset than the factory so if you're going with the factory wheels a body lift will only work with them.
Tires are 265/70/18 (they measure 33.5" tall aired up), and the wheels are a 2011-2012 Colorado/Canyon factory option (P31), the label says 18x7.5J X38mm (I assume that is 38mm offset).

wheels look like this:

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Tread

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Be aware that with a body lift you will have a gap between the body and the bumpers. You will need to decide if that matters to you are not. If you go with the Suspension Maxx torsion bar keys, rear shackles, ball joint spacer kit and extended shocks you will get up to a 3" front and 2.5" rear lift for under $550 all-in for parts. This is the route I am planning to go next year but will likely go with Rancho shocks instead of the KYB's available from Suspension Maxx.
With this option you could also use the stock wheels so the ones you are looking at with the 1-1/2" offset should be fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Body Lift Kit I was looking at had front and rear bumper relocation brackets, as well as steering column extension and ebrake cable extension.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
The lower valance on the front bumper has to be cut and the frame rails are exposed with the bumper relocating brackets on a 3 inch bl. I have the suspension maxx 1.5 bl and you can get away without cutting the valance but there still is quite a gap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense, as the bumper brackets would come out the end of the frame then they bend up, so the end of the low frame would be visible under the bumper...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts