Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Guys I need a little help....I have a 2005 Colorado Z71 4x4 right now I have stock shocks and have my torsion bars cranked 2 rounds, the back sits a little higher than the front...So my question is i'm looking to level my truck...What's my options? 2'' Leveling Kit..If so what kind is the best...Do I also need shocks? I'm wanting to put some 20'' wheels on it also...Any help would be appreciated...Thanks Here is a pic of my Truck now Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Pickup truck

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
Hey Guys I need a little help....I have a 2005 Colorado Z71 4x4 right now I have stock shocks and have my torsion bars cranked 2 rounds, the back sits a little higher than the front...So my question is i'm looking to level my truck...What's my options? 2'' Leveling Kit..If so what kind is the best...Do I also need shocks? I'm wanting to put some 20'' wheels on it also...Any help would be appreciated...Thanks Here is a pic of my Truck now View attachment 273201
Just crank the keys some more until you are level then get an alignment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice truck. Like the blue. I also have a 2005 Z71 4x4, but extra cab in maroon. I am thinking about going with a Rough Country leveling kit, which should give 2" of lift and level the truck out. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who's installed this kit. I'd like to up my tires to 32", but if I want to keep the 10.5" width, I think I'll need to trade my 15" wheels for 16's. Looking forward to seeing a pic of your truck with 20's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice truck. Like the blue. I also have a 2005 Z71 4x4, but extra cab in maroon. I am thinking about going with a Rough Country leveling kit, which should give 2" of lift and level the truck out. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who's installed this kit. I'd like to up my tires to 32", but if I want to keep the 10.5" width, I think I'll need to trade my 15" wheels for 16's. Looking forward to seeing a pic of your truck with 20's.
Thanks Jaybird...I will post picks once I get everything lined out

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
I heard don't go over 3 cranks on stock keys or it will mess with your differential...and what about your front shocks? New to this so I need all the help I can get
I think you mean 3 inches... not cranks.

Cranking stock keys is the same thing as installing a leveling kit (re-indexed lift keys). You can lower the front differential to fix the CV angles using washers as spacers or suspension maxx sells spacers.

It is not advisable to go over 2.5 inches of lift whether Cranking stock keys or using lift keys... ball joints angles, tie rod angles, as well as CV axle angles start getting too extreme, there are fixes for some of these problems.

Lifting using a leveling kit or Cranking the stock keys is the same thing, you twisting the torsion bar, which moves the lower control arm to a steeper angle, thus pulling the tire and wheel inward and pushing the front of the truck upward. You are basically sacrificing downward suspension travel for more upward travel.... longer shocks are not really needed.

The only time you need a leveling kit is when the stock keys have run out of adjustment because of torsion bar sag.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think you mean 3 inches... not cranks.

Cranking stock keys is the same thing as installing a leveling kit (re-indexed lift keys). You can lower the front differential to fix the CV angles using washers as spacers or suspension maxx sells spacers.

It is not advisable to go over 2.5 inches of lift whether Cranking stock keys or using lift keys... ball joints angles, tie rod angles, as well as CV axle angles start getting too extreme, there are fixes for some of these problems.

Lifting using a leveling kit or Cranking the stock keys is the same thing, you twisting the torsion bar, which moves the lower control arm to a steeper angle, thus pulling the tire and wheel inward and pushing the front of the truck upward. You are basically sacrificing downward suspension travel for more upward travel.... longer shocks are not really needed.

The only time you need a leveling kit is when the stock keys have run out of adjustment because of torsion bar sag.
Gotcha....so I could probably turn my torsion bars a couple more rounds to level the front with the back and everything should be ok?

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
Yes. Just make sure to get an alignment after

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
Sure if you want. Make sure they have around 4.5 inches of backspace and stick with 31 or 32 tall and 10.5 wide tires.... you won't have much sidewall, I would go with 17 or 18s,.buts it's your truck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sure if you want. Make sure they have around 4.5 inches of backspace and stick with 31 or 32 tall and 10.5 wide tires.... you won't have much sidewall, I would go with 17 or 18s,.buts it's your truck.
Thanks Greg...Is it possible to get 17's with about a 2'' lip on the rim? That will work

·
Registered
2 Posts
heres one to add to the list

Fabtech

2wd (z85/zq8 models only)
FT21027 3" spindel lift with rear shackels and shocks.
hey hows it going i got in contact with fab tech and was told they cant guarantee fitment on the 2005 Z85 2wd regular cab since they didnt have a truck to test fit it on. Has anyone here ordered it and have it on their truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a single cab zq8 that i put the fabtech lift on... i like how it came out and the look it has not but the only problem is that it still rides like its lowered. any ideas on how to fix that and make it a little softer
do you have pictures im interested in buying this lift from them but according to the site they cant guarantee the fitment on a single cab ZQ8 or Z85 (regular cab / Standard cab).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone used Badlands Industries lift equipment?
I like their look and simplicity, but i'm open to opinions regarding the realities or successes with Badlands.
Thanks and have a great holiday.

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
has anybody used a zone 1.5 " body lift on a v8 canyon, they say it wont fit , because of rad, ac condenser brackets are different the the i5 ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks that rancho no longer makes a lift kit from there site saying no results found.
i have the rough country kit on it now looking for a little more, i did talk to zone about a body lift , they never did a v8 , so iam going to do it when the weather breaks and the canyon comes out of storage, done several 5 cyl . i want to run stock wheels, the rancho kit says you cant , iam a old school guy, old man you could say, just not into the wheel sticking outside the fender look

Attachments

81 - 100 of 101 Posts