Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here on Maui there are a few stations that offer ethanol free gas. Would trying it on my 07 3.7 I5 Colorado be harmful? Any benefits like better mileage? Would like to try it out of curiosity.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you will be fine i have run it a few times but did not see a change in mpg
Thanks, I'll try it. Right now I'm getting 16.5 mpg city. Really no Hyw driving on Maui. And I had to replace the fuel tank sensor twice. I think from water moisture damage. Ethanol allows moisture.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've always used ethanol-free gas in my 2-stroke outboard motors and in small 2-stroke motors like for chainsaws and trimmers. It's my understanding that the ethanol breaks down the oil that you add to the fuel and causes decreased life expectancy on these motors.
Let us know how that works for you and if you experience any noticeable differences either good or bad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
non ethanol is better for sure, but depending on the price difference is it worth it. comparing mpgs requires very similar driving + weather conditions. i lost 3 mpgs with my motorcycle when Shell premium changed + the biggie is if not used regularly vehicles can have issues with non ethanol gas

·
Registered
23 Posts
in regards to the fuel thing ethanol is alcohol. while it has properties that help with moisture in the tank, it is my experience that it is ok for cheaper fuel at stops and on days like today in Wisconsin where its -20 below. No one wants gasline freeze. but what people don't seem to understand is that alcohol burns cooler than regular ( non ethanol) used to be high octane in the past. but its just a cheap way to make you pay more for crappier gas. But what savings you may see at the pump you will have to shell out later when the Catalytic converter plugs up giving you the rotted egg smell or check engine light. wont pass emissions. Because while the ethanol burns cleaner and polar bears will have ice, it does not burn hot enough to Keep the micro mesh in the cat, free, so each tank of the ethanol fuel it gets a bit more clogged. so then fuel additive will be needed later to boost the octane. Make sense? so every third fill up make it non ethanol. And as far as Here in Wisconsin, I remind folks that add Heet products that unless they are running premium that has no ethanol why add more junk to the gas. as it sits look at the sticker at the pump, should say how many taxes your paying fed tax and state tax and local tax and above the grade of fuel is how much ethanol, may be up to 10% which seeing ethanol is cheaper to produce than oil. but are charging the same and more for straight gas. but the barrel today is 50.00.. the 10% of 20 gallons is 2 gallons of ethanol. that's a lot.
as far as fuel miles depending on highway speed and how heavy your foot is. ethanol burns cooler so not as much zoom. and have to use more fuel to maintain the speed. Why do you think there is race gas? or 91 or 94 oct. for faster cars. more octane means more power. Both torque and highway speed.
Just me though. but well worth making it last as long as you can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i read more, you say ethanol allows moisture. yes it absorbs water. further bringing down the octane level. however if you feel that the saturation level is far too high because I use Wisconsin weather as a start. but if maui is humid then the absorbing rate for the ethanol is far higher. and yeah the water sits on bottom of your tank. if You choose you can use
isopropyl
alcohol which is same as red Heet name brand. which is also much cheaper as a household product rubbing alcohol. so the 16 oz. bottle will do 20 gallons of fuel removing the water. so which way is better depends on how much you want to spend. premium here is 3.94 no ethanol and ethanol is 2.46 gal. and bottle of rubbing alcohol is .98.
however it goes need the water out, of the tank and exhaust. watch someone in front of you when driving in traffic. look at the water coming out the exhaust. And go find someone with a much older vehicle that runs non ethanol. None of the water or far less. the water is coming from the engine and through the exhaust. Ever wonder why they would want to use stainless steel exhaust? stuff rots from inside out.
and enjoy the weather.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know much about these sorts, but when I first bought mine in 07 and I had a choice, I chose non ethanol every time because it was more expensive. In my mind, that meant it must be better. The only difference I can speak to is that I definitely got more miles per gallon. I miss it for that reason. I don't see it anymore, now that I'm back in Texas. But I'm not looking either. It's a 13 year old vehicle that still runs, so I'm grateful.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, after running non ethonal for 2 tanks the mileage is almost exactly the same

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope this wasn't a fluke but on my 3 fillup with Non eth I calculated I had got 17.9 mpg. That was up from an average of 16.4. I had not changed my style of driving either. I guess I'll see on the next fill up. By the way that is city driving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts