Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving home yesterday afternoon, I look in my mirror and notice my driver's side tail light assembly was dangling. I bought the entire assembly around 3 years ago because one of the pigtails had a broken wire and I just decided it was easier for me to replace the entire assembly.Apparently during these three years, the bottom piece where the screw goes in was broken, screw just hanging in the slot. The top part where the screw goes in also broke so I have no where to put these screws. I drove home with it dangling while everyone behind me was flashing lights and honking for me to pull over.

I went ahead and ordered a new tail light, but it won't be in for about a week. I need my truck. Is there anything I can do to hold me over until then?

2005 GMC Canyon

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've used JB Weld to fix the screw hole tabs with good results. Use the Qwik version for the shorter curing time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
...duct tape works well for an emergency repair, and the residual glue will come off with mineral spirits.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's hokey, but yeah. Just tape that sucker on there until your now part arrives. masking tape wont weather as well, but leaves less residue than duct tape. Just dont cover the important lights, so the cops dont bother you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's hokey, but yeah. Just tape that sucker on there until your now part arrives. masking tape wont weather as well, but leaves less residue than duct tape. Just dont cover the important lights, so the cops dont bother you.
Thinking of grabbing some clear heavy duty Gorilla tape so it isn't as noticeable. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Check the fasteners rack at Advance, AutoZone or O’Reillys for the spring clips that the screws go into. Take one of the taillight screws with you so you get the right size. If all of your screws are missing they should have the black anodized body screws also.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I had some 3" drywall screws and an impact gun in my truck, so I just ran those 3' screws all the way in. If I remember correctly, they actually went into the light housing, but that lasted until I picked up a tail light from a u-pull lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts