Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving home yesterday afternoon, I look in my mirror and notice my driver's side tail light assembly was dangling. I bought the entire assembly around 3 years ago because one of the pigtails had a broken wire and I just decided it was easier for me to replace the entire assembly.Apparently during these three years, the bottom piece where the screw goes in was broken, screw just hanging in the slot. The top part where the screw goes in also broke so I have no where to put these screws. I drove home with it dangling while everyone behind me was flashing lights and honking for me to pull over.

I went ahead and ordered a new tail light, but it won't be in for about a week. I need my truck. Is there anything I can do to hold me over until then?

2005 GMC Canyon

· Registered
436 Posts
It's hokey, but yeah. Just tape that sucker on there until your now part arrives. masking tape wont weather as well, but leaves less residue than duct tape. Just dont cover the important lights, so the cops dont bother you.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's hokey, but yeah. Just tape that sucker on there until your now part arrives. masking tape wont weather as well, but leaves less residue than duct tape. Just dont cover the important lights, so the cops dont bother you.
Thinking of grabbing some clear heavy duty Gorilla tape so it isn't as noticeable. Thanks guys!

· Registered
208 Posts
Check the fasteners rack at Advance, AutoZone or O’Reillys for the spring clips that the screws go into. Take one of the taillight screws with you so you get the right size. If all of your screws are missing they should have the black anodized body screws also.

· Registered
1,754 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I had some 3" drywall screws and an impact gun in my truck, so I just ran those 3' screws all the way in. If I remember correctly, they actually went into the light housing, but that lasted until I picked up a tail light from a u-pull lot.

· Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I had some 3" drywall screws and an impact gun in my truck, so I just ran those 3' screws all the way in. If I remember correctly, they actually went into the light housing, but that lasted until I picked up a tail light from a u-pull lot.
I fixed mine by using a part from an old entertainment unit for my TV. it’s a hard piece of plastic that’s a 90 degree angle. I placed it under the lip that broke off. Secured it with a small bolt and nut. speed nuts in it are the original. First photo is the stock part that broke on mine. Next 2 are post install. Last photo is the furniture part used.

Rectangle Output device Machine Auto part Metal

a
Wood Grey Art Gas Tints and shades

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grey

Wood Fixture Rectangle Composite material Hardwood

Attachments

· Registered
1 Posts
So I was reversing and I didn't there was a sign behind me so as I was reversing the sign had pierced through my taillight and when I had heard it had stabbed it I put it in drive and saw my tail light dandling Idk if I should Buy a new tail light or buy the screws I had noticed that the bottom screw was broken and the taillight itself did not want to snap in what should I do ?

· Premium Member
4,461 Posts
Welcome to the Nation:

Whether or not you purchase a new taillight to replace your damaged one will be up to you. There are thousands of driver's on the road with damaged taillights. If you don't have either of the screws, remove one from the other taillight and go match it up with one at an auto parts store. If that doesn't work out you can search around for an original GM screw pn 11611881. If you are going to go to a Dealer, first go by the bank and take out a loan.

If you want a replacement taillight, check rockauto.com They have some aftermarket ones for reasonable prices.

If the damaged light doesn't want to fit back in it's location it might be due to the damage on the light itself or the body of the truck. If you can't determine, remove the other taillight and see what is different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts