Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Leave as is

Votes: 1 11.1%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My idea is to take the Red LED tails and paint the inside housing black to give them factory dark look like our stockers do but obviously in LED format

And no I wouldnt tint them

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Are you saying like this? (I know these arent LEDS)

If you are i think itll look ( . )( . )'s Do it!!
well not with the clear lens see the lens on the these LEDs are red so they would have a dark red look like the factory tails

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Oh okay....I got ya...I still say do it I think itll look good....how hard would it be to get the lens off? Im guessing just bake them like the headlights?

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh okay....I got ya...I still say do it I think itll look good....how hard would it be to get the lens off? Im guessing just bake them like the headlights?
similar yes not sure if I would bake them due to the LED electronics

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
You can take duplicolor temporary paint that washes off to see what it would look like.

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess not. :ugh:
you mean tinting nah

its similar plus then you have to clear it and all but painting the inside you dont have to worry about clear coat or getting it to really shine because the lens takes care of that

for20 gave a good example how the stock housing looks without the red lens on it

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
yeah you do that, that way I can have them regular.

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may get them and see how they look overall before deciding if I want to darker them inside

·
Registered
98 Posts
code --

wouldn't it be easier to paint and clear the outside (see the link I gave) ... than to bake, spray the inside and seal preperly?

Oya, I though it was funny that the link to the "cfans" site got filtered as ".............". Can't we all just be like :high5: with the other site, instead of like :mad: ?

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
code --

wouldn't it be easier to paint and clear the outside (see the link I gave) ... than to bake, spray the inside and seal preperly?

Oya, I though it was funny that the link to the "cfans" site got filtered as ".............". Can't we all just be like :high5: with the other site, instead of like :mad: ?
yes you could but wouldnt be the exact effect I'm looking for tinting it would be yeah he tinted the outside of the taillight and it you dont do it right on the outside you can fuck up the tail plus the pain in masking the reverse part

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, I'm inpatient with the spray too. For some reason I can't follow the rule of many thin coats and I just spray one heavy. I'm going to try my mirrors this fall, so I hope I do a somewhat decent job with 'em.

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Why dont you finish your grille project first....lol

I was thinking about doing this too but some one on the other board said it was a bitch getting the tail lights apart with out breaking them. I think he was converting stock tails to leds and he said it was a pain to seperate the lense from the back. Good luck man! Give it a shot

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
I think while it sounds like a cool idea, possibly a 1st for these trucks, I wouldn't chance fucking up a $200 set of lights trying to split them apart. Maybe do it to a set of stockers so there's less to lose if you mess up.

How would you even split the housing from the lens if you didn't bake them?

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
I think while it sounds like a cool idea, possibly a 1st for these trucks, I wouldn't chance fucking up a $200 set of lights trying to split them apart. Maybe do it to a set of stockers so there's less to lose if you mess up.
Well there only 150 + 25 to shipped now but I agree with you on this. It would suck to mess them up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts