Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I tried this one, not happy with it. Makes the cable kink. Sent it back, but was lost in the mail, hence no refund.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Contact the mail carrier for a lost claim. I flipped my cable around. Cable needs manual assistance when closing to go left of the cylinder to not get pinched though. Opening is a hands free operation once unlatched.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Contact the mail carrier for a lost claim. I flipped my cable around. Cable needs manual assistance when closing to go left of the cylinder to not get pinched though. Opening is a hands free operation once unlatched.
didnt insure it. The only thing he got back was the shock. Said he would refund me 25 dollars but never did.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just ordered the Badlands kit. Looking at BackInBlack’s installation photos, I’m curious if the strut mount bolt could be moved a little forward (toward the bed) to provide a little more clearance for the cable. I’ll look at that more closely when I install mine. May look at drilling out the hole in the flipped cable end and adding a thin spacer over the bolt so that the bolt can be tightened without binding cable movement. Had one of these on my Ram and it kept me from dropping the tailgate and potentially popping a cable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just ordered the Badlands kit. Looking at BackInBlack’s installation photos, I’m curious if the strut mount bolt could be moved a little forward (toward the bed) to provide a little more clearance for the cable. I’ll look at that more closely when I install mine. May look at drilling out the hole in the flipped cable end and adding a thin spacer over the bolt so that the bolt can be tightened without binding cable movement. Had one of these on my Ram and it kept me from dropping the tailgate and potentially popping a cable.
I bought one and mounted it in the center which of course did not work. So I drilled a new hole as far forward as I could and it works fine. I plugged the first hole with a bolt.
PXL_20201018_160243683.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
That’s what I had in mind. Glad to see it works. Do the instructions tell you how far below the cable anchor bolt to drill the hole for the strut anchor bolt? Looks like 2”-3” but I suppose I can scale it by the length of the cable end.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
The directions were to drill the hole approximately 2" below the cable bolt.
Flipping it worked for me. Didnt want a seond hole.
I have noticed shock is really stiff in the cooler weather though. Tailgate lowers really slow

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks. I think I will flip the cable and move the anchor bolt forward to gain a little more clearance on the cable. Glad I saw this thread because I hadn’t thought about a damper since I got the truck, even though I had one on my Ram.
I’m learning how to navigate around the forums so I’m sure I’ll find more things I need to have.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts