Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I hauled a couple of 200 liters drums in my truck, we rolled the drums on the side to move them from a pallet to the bed.

While doing this I heard how the tailgate was crushed, here the pics of the damage.

I honestly thought that a 200L drum wont cause any damage to a tailgate protected with a bedliner. But looks like the only way to load drums without damage is by pushing them while keeping the drum vertical all the time.

This post is just a "heads up" to prevent any other member to get the tailgate dented.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
The 55 Gal drums I deal with regularly weigh between 450-750 lbs based on whats in them... this is well more than enough to destroy our tailgates

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 55 Gal drums I deal with regularly weigh between 450-750 lbs based on whats in them... this is well more than enough to destroy our tailgates
450 lbs each. but still I´m shocked I´ve seen people abusing full size trucks tailgates with even more weight than that with minor damage.

My assumption was that our tailgates were designed with the same internal reinforcement and structure than the full size ones and since they are smaller I even thought they were more capable.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Everybody I know pops the tail gate off and lines the pallet right up with the bed. It only takes 2 seconds on new trucks to remove. Even then though the bed floor will still dent from those barrels. The sheetmetal is like 1/16" to 1/8" and ribbed or not can't handle 400lbs on an area the size of a sliver when you tip those barrels.

·
Members Technical Staff
2,499 Posts
One of the ribs on my tailgate is partially collapsed like that as well from an excessive point load... BUT the tailgate itself isn't 'bent' like a 'v' or a 'u' or whatever you want to call it.

Throw a piece of plywood down next time to distribute the load more evenly -- and it makes it easier to slide the barrels on. Occasionally I haul 55gal poly drums of diesel to get fuel to heavy equipment used on remote properties (i.e. not getting a fuel truck back there, but a Colly will!).

·
I haz no truck
3,545 Posts
That's all it did and you made a thread about it? It's a truck. Get over it. At least it's not on the outside.

·
Nipple
6,350 Posts
One of the ribs on my tailgate is partially collapsed like that as well from an excessive point load... BUT the tailgate itself isn't 'bent' like a 'v' or a 'u' or whatever you want to call it.

Throw a piece of plywood down next time to distribute the load more evenly -- and it makes it easier to slide the barrels on. Occasionally I haul 55gal poly drums of diesel to get fuel to heavy equipment used on remote properties (i.e. not getting a fuel truck back there, but a Colly will!).
This. C'mon Fito, you're an engineer right? You should understand how forces and stresses work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Members Technical Staff
2,499 Posts
Man I wish I had a forklift to transfer barrels. Normally we're leveling the ground and then stacking pallets to get the same height as the bed!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Throw a piece of plywood down next time to distribute the load more evenly -- and it makes it easier to slide the barrels on.
This is a good tip.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, that´s what I will do next time.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's all it did and you made a thread about it? It's a truck. Get over it. At least it's not on the outside.
yeah, I´m cool about this, its just that I bet there are a bunch of members who would get really pissed off if they see this damage in their tailgates.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts