Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a used tailgate be re-keyed to work with my truck's key? I'm assuming yes but I just wanna double check if someone here knows for sure.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Can a used tailgate be re-keyed to work with my truck's key? I'm assuming yes but I just wanna double check if someone here knows for sure.
I think all you have to do is put the tailgate handle you have now into the new tailgate.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Try to change the lock cylinder then.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Locksmith would probably be easier, dealership might try to get you to buy a whole new cylinder. Just take the cylinder from the good gate to a good locksmith with your key and they should be able to take care of it relatively easily. I had a friend in high school that learned how to do it himself, but I don't really know how hard it is.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True, locksmith won't bother me with where I got it or any of that either :lol:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
It's really pretty easy to re-key a lock cylinder. The hard parts are getting the cylinder out ( and back in ) and buying the kit that contains the new pins.

·
Registered
563 Posts
like some people said here...change the tumblers to be keyed to your new key. or if thats damaged then get a new cylinder and key that to the new key you have.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool, so it can be re-keyed like I assumed. Thanks, mods you can close/lock the thread :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.