Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple as it sounds. I went to unlock the tailgate and the cylinder will not turn. I tried pushing and pulling on the tailgate itself, the handle, turned the key around, nothing seems to be working. The key goes in fine, but the cylinder will not budge. Since I have a tonneau cover, I haven't been able to get to the access panel, but I thought I would see if there was any experience with this problem. I am going to spray some pb blaster inside tonight and let it sit and then try again in the morning.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I had the same problem, I think anyways. On mine I pulled to hard and without realizing it I broke the handle inside the tailgate. You won't know until you get the back cover off, and look inside the tailgate. Because it's still attached to the spring inside, the handle seems fine but inside it's far from ok. Gm made it cheap plastic where it should have been metal, new tailgate handle from amazon fixed it right up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Try a lubricant instead of PB if you have any. A good lithium based product is good for locks. Or something teflon related like triflow oil. A little will go a long way. Insert the key, it may help distribute the lubricant.

No matter what you are spraying you may need to pay close attention to make sure none of it seeps out and onto your paint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got some of the lock deicer/lubricant. I am worried about the pb damaging the paint. Should I try some of liquid wrenches white lithium grease or silicone lube instead?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Mine got stuck. I put some spray in it and kept working the key until it unlocked. Gently wiggle. These are known to break.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I'd go for the deicer first, before a harsh penetrating product.

Those products are too harsh for what you need. The cylinder is likely dry, not corroded. A drop of two of light weight oil on your key may be enough to get things started. Then you can wipe the surface clean immediately and not risking spray/splatter with a spray product. Or spray your key with a spray product first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd go for the deicer first, before a harsh penetrating product.

Those products are too harsh for what you need. The cylinder is likely dry, not corroded. A drop of two of light weight oil on your key may be enough to get things started. Then you can wipe the surface clean immediately and not risking spray/splatter with a spray product. Or spray your key with a spray product first.

Noted. I'll start with the dry graphite lube. If that doesn't work I'll spray the key. If that fails then I will spray in the cylinder. If that fails then I'll try a firecracker.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Simple as it sounds. I went to unlock the tailgate and the cylinder will not turn. I tried pushing and pulling on the tailgate itself, the handle, turned the key around, nothing seems to be working. The key goes in fine, but the cylinder will not budge. Since I have a tonneau cover, I haven't been able to get to the access panel, but I thought I would see if there was any experience with this problem. I am going to spray some pb blaster inside tonight and let it sit and then try again in the morning.
Try another/spare key, mine did the same thing and the issue was that the key I was using daily was worn enough that it would not work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. Used my spare key and the tailgate lock opened fine...but it had problems with the doors but not as bad. Chose the key with the least problems (I should keep both on the keychain). Very sensitive tumblers I guess. Had one "passlock" problem the other day, let it sit a few minutes and it was fine, really weird, but it is 9 years old already (extended warranty ended last month) !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. I got a new key cut and used some graphite lube. After a little wiggling, it turned free and I haven't had a problem since. Thanks for all the input guys!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts