Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up what I thought was a great deal on a wrecked 07 TBSS for $1500 with the goals of swapping the LS2/4L65e into my 2008 3.7L Colorado. Being a 2007 TBSS it should have the 58x/4x reluctors and an E67 PCM which will increase the plug-and-play factor of the swap as I'm reasonably sure I can use the LS2 harness instead of having to buy a Colorado V8 one. My shopping list for other necessary parts is as follows, please let me know if I've overlooked anything!

Additional Parts:
-Colorado V8 Radiator/Hoses/Heater Hoses
-Colorado factory V8 motor mounts
-Colorado V8 AC Lines
-Colorado V8 power steering lines (Assuming the TBSS lines wont be long enough or the right size and the 3.7L lines wont work with the V8?)
-Intake solution (TBD)

Tasks:
-Modify my current 3.7L supermod Efan kit to fit the V8 radiator
-Modify the TBSS downpipes as necessary to clear the frame/trans/front driveshaft and then weld up a single exit catback section to use the factory exhaust hanger locations.

Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Good luck with your swap, I don't think
the TBSS exh will fit. a few have tried the
TBSS headers and had little success with them.
there are some good/cheap Collly V8 headers
on e-bay. check them out. saves a ton of work
doing your exh system. if you need to look at
a V8 truck you can check mine out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck with your swap, I don't think
the TBSS exh will fit. a few have tried the
TBSS headers and had little success with them.
there are some good/cheap Collly V8 headers
on e-bay. check them out. saves a ton of work
doing your exh system. if you need to look at
a V8 truck you can check mine out.
That'd be great, I'm planning on picking up the TBSS from the auction soon and use the balmy 50 degree weather we're expected to have this weekend to tear into it. Likely wait till spring to pull the motor from my Colorado and do the swap since my Genesis Coupe is not snow-rated in the least. That should give me time to collect parts, refresh the LS2/4L65e a bit with them out and on the stand, and get a base tune on the extra E67 ready so I can do the swap over a weekend and have it running again.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The shop i deal with in West Chester. CSP does
Dyno/street tunes.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The shop i deal with in West Chester. CSP does
Dyno/street tunes.
Cool, as a software engineer I'm debating whether to just get an HPTuners license and do it myself or not. I'm pretty much just looking to do the compare between the two stock tune files and copy over the TBSS data relevant to the engine to my Colorado's E67, and then probably finally correct the tire size for the Silverado wheels I put on it so the speedo/odometer is accurate. Being that this truck is my daily I'm not going to be trying to make any more than the factory 400 ponies the LS2 puts out. One small modification I might try to make in the tune would be to enable the EFan output and use that to drive the Supermod fan kit instead of the inline coolant temp sensor it uses now.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
04colyZQ8 is good for wiring harness mods.
if you run into probs with what you have now.
Supermod adds the wires from the PCM for the fan output.
when tuning them to run.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From looking at other people's swaps and researching I've arrived at the following assumptions that I'll personally confirm during this process:

- Factory i4/i5 power steering lines can be reused
- TBSS manifolds and downpipes/y-pipe will fit with minor modifications (confirmed for 2wd, I'll be testing for 4x4)
- 3.7L radiator can be reused, worst case if that's not enough cooling the 5.3L radiator is ~$90 and a drop in replacement
- i4/i5 fuel line can be reused

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Cool, as a software engineer I'm debating whether to just get an HPTuners license and do it myself or not. I'm pretty much just looking to do the compare between the two stock tune files and copy over the TBSS data relevant to the engine to my Colorado's E67, and then probably finally correct the tire size for the Silverado wheels I put on it so the speedo/odometer is accurate. ...
Subscribed!
I hope you'll try it and I really hope you'll care to share your observations from a SE perspective.

Congrats on the LS2 acquisition and good luck on the swap.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
One question - what the hell is "TBSS"? So often on this site I feel that there's some secret language out there that I simply do not understand. When you all get together at a meet somewhere, is there also a secret handshake?
Just trying to keep up. When my daily driver was my Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, and I spent a lot of time on the "bonnevilleclub" forum, there was actually a constantly updated post for "common abbreviations and slang", which I visited a lot. Just a suggestion to help us folks out that are still relatively new to the site. Possibly, this is an abbreviation that everyone knows but me.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Damn that's a nice TBSS.

You never see Trailblazers without the roof rack unless its been modified.
Did the SS models come with shaved roof?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn that's a nice TBSS.

You never see Trailblazers without the roof rack unless its been modified.
Did the SS models come with shaved roof?
Yeah mine has no roof rack and all the other pictures I've found online of stock TBSS's have the "shaved" roof look so I'd assume that's the factory design.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Being that the Rad is 10yrs old I would throw a new one
in for the hell of it. there cheap enough.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Being that the Rad is 10yrs old I would throw a new one
in for the hell of it. there cheap enough.
Actually it's about a year old now. I had to replace it when I rebuilt the truck, bought it from a salvage auction with a pretty minor front end collision for $1700. It needed a new bumper, grille, headlights, condenser, and radiator. But the radiator support was pretty much unscathed so besides needing to use a come-along to pull the driver's side post that the top of the bumper mounts to on the frame back vertical and cutting the spotwelds and welding in a new driver's side tab where the grille clips in it was all bolt-on repairs.

That reminds me, I should update that old rebuild thread with all my recent shenanigans and take some pictures tomorrow of the TBSS teardown. :D

·
Roll Damn Tide!
631 Posts
Save yourself a lot of headache and go with the 5.3 manifold. They are dirt cheap and will fit with no issues.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
You could of bought my 5.3 it's ready to
drop in a Colly, even has the exh manf's
and a cam that go with it. just needs the front accs.
I would even have delivered it. hahaha

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
XScott, your within driving distance,
price drop. $2200 to a member

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
XScott, your within driving distance,
price drop. $2200 to a member
Not a bad deal for someone looking to move to the V8! I plan to do the whole swap essentially for net zero cost and get a 4L70e and a 6.0 out of it. By the time I part out the rest of the the SS interior and all, along with the coveted wheels, I'll likely have made back the $1500 I spent on it if not more, then the sale of the current 3.7L and trans should offset the cost of a majority of the odds and ends i'll need to get the 6.0 running.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts