Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Ok, it looks like a 1996-2014 Chev or GMC 1500
van should fit or a Silverado/GMC 1500 1998-2013
or am i reading this wrong ?
Fit yes, for 2wd. Has to be from a v8 though. Most v8s in the vans had the 4l80e. Most 4l60e in the vans were mated to the 4.3l v6,which was a old school 350 small block bolt pattern. And different torque converter and input shaft. There are a lot of electronic differences. Best to use year range suited for the engine trans calibration you use.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
So, the Silvi/GMC 1500 gen 4 V8 should be a
better fit for my 2010 V8 ? it should use the same
plug. 17 pin i think.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I just got a line on a 05 4L65E GTO trans,
can i get it to work with a valve body swap
and a trans pan ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
sounds like a stand alone LS harness with programmable ECM. is the way to go here.
then find a stand alone transmission harness that will work with it or one that has its own TCM. Im betting those 2 harnesses would be cheaper than a different valve body and pan. Doing so would open up your transmission options a lot.

this thread is wonderful guys...thank you. I have a extra C5 drive train lying around and have been considering a IRS/rear trans with a rear offset motor...

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
So, the Silvi/GMC 1500 gen 4 V8 should be a
better fit for my 2010 V8 ? it should use the same
plug. 17 pin i think.
If it's from a 2009-14 then yes. Otherwise your trans computer will have a fit for the missing input speed sensor. And the valve body may not swap over?

I just got a line on a 05 4L65E GTO trans,
can i get it to work with a valve body swap
and a trans pan ?
The trans is quite different, as outlined earlier, 98-06 won't have input speed sensor, and it will have a external range switch, and a 2-3 shift solenoid. It also has a pressure manifold.

The 2007-2008 have input speed sensor, and external range switch. And has a pressure manifold

2009-2014 have input speed sensor no 2-3 shift solenoid, no pressure manifold, and has a internal range switch.

The 05 trans prob only Shares the case output shaft, and a few cluster gears with your 2010 trans maybe even the main case is different?

You want a 2009-2014 trans for your 2010 canyon

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
sounds like a stand alone LS harness with programmable ECM. is the way to go here.
then find a stand alone transmission harness that will work with it or one that has its own TCM. Im betting those 2 harnesses would be cheaper than a different valve body and pan. Doing so would open up your transmission options a lot.

this thread is wonderful guys...thank you. I have a extra C5 drive train lying around and have been considering a IRS/rear trans with a rear offset motor...
Not at all!!! Stand alone your gauges, cruise, abs, or gas pedal won't work!! I feel like I've answered this so many times? The bcm and pcm use class 2 data to feed the abs, and gauge cluster info. The tach, temp, speedo, fuel gauge all go down one single data wire.

No it would be far easier and cheaper just to get the right transmission wirring wise. If your hearts set on the older trans in a newer truck, you'll need to run 8 more wires redue a portion of the engine and transmission harness. Add a range switch plug, reprogram the tcm for 2008 trans, and disable the input speed sensor if that's even possible.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Are you guys reading what I'm posting? I don't know how to get across the differences and reasons why the trans and or wirring is different from year to year? I feel like I'm repeating myself? Sorry I don't mean to be rude, I just seem to be confusing you guys more? How can I explain it, in laymens terms?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Are you guys reading what I'm posting? I don't know how to get across the differences and reasons why the trans and or wirring is different from year to year? I feel like I'm repeating myself? Sorry I don't mean to be rude, I just seem to be confusing you guys more? How can I explain it, in laymens terms?
Needs moar pictures! :D

But on a more serious note I've been looking around for wiring schematics for the 08 vs the 09 to see the differences in the harness so satisfy my own engineer's curiosity. I found one for the 07 TBSS and 04-08 Colorado but so far nothing on the 09 V8 Colorado. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Nope your doing a great job I forgot about all the stuff on the data lines. looking into gauges for mine (about 800+) willing to remove ABS or install a older non data system. (1992 corvette maybe) cruise control and speed controlled volume on the radio (aftermarket). again I didn't think of that. and your right about the pedal either convert it to cable or run a tac module...getting the right transmission and have it gone threw to handle all the goose your gonna run would be way cheaper. and by far easier.

in defense 3 pages on this thread. I must have skimmed over your posts and caused you to repeat but thank you for doing it.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Nope your doing a great job I forgot about all the stuff on the data lines. looking into gauges for mine (about 800+) willing to remove ABS or install a older non data system. (1992 corvette maybe) cruise control and speed controlled volume on the radio (aftermarket). again I didn't think of that. and your right about the pedal either convert it to cable or run a tac module...getting the right transmission and have it gone threw to handle all the goose your gonna run would be way cheaper. and by far easier.

in defense 3 pages on this thread. I must have skimmed over your posts and caused you to repeat but thank you for doing it.
Hey no problem, yes you can run custom gauges, get rid of abs, get rid of the stock pedal, and then do what ever you like! Just isn't very clean that way it's more like a racer then factory truck with a repower, but each to there own:)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Ok, thanks, I know what i need now
and what fits.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just came across this thread and thought I would give Jamie (04ColyZQ8) a plug. He made me a harness 3-4 years ago, and I would recommend that y'all take advantage of his service and advice. Anytime there is a harness available that installs seamlessly and uses as many OEM parts as possible, it is bliss. The alternative is oftentimes a project that comes out unreliable and looks hack/ cut up/ chopped up and takes years to complete with the end result looking shadetree at best.

Anyhow, here is the LC9 5.3/ T56 swap that has about 30k miles on the swap. All gauges work, fans, a/c, everything! We had a set of headers built for the truck back in 2013-2014.

Other than that, we used:

truck accessories
Dirty Dingo idler pulley relocation
LS6 intake
LS6 cam
ebay head studs
ebay cold air
LS1 F-Body fans
Current Performance motor mounts (btw - they revised their design, the originals were junk)
Eaton TruTrac in rear end
CalTracs
Fidanza flywheel
LS6 clutch
GTO T56
custom crossmember
2009+ front brakes
custom 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust and xpipe through Borla mufflers
Truck made 375/370 through the T56

Truck weighs 3423lbs with a full tank of fuel.

Truck is currently disassembled for a Magnuson and a dual disc clutch.

·
Registered
228 Posts
***Important***
Not sure how far you are along in your build but I hope I catch you before you installed your oil pan.
My Envoy V8 engine block (LM4) did not come with an oil dipstick hole in the. Instead, it is located on the oil pan. I beleive the TBSS LS2 is the same way. This is a BIG deal since the coly and full size truck pans dont come with a hole for the dip stick.
It would suck if you didnt know about this and dropped the motor/trans in, installed wiring harness and headers.

Ask me how I F*CKIN KNOW THIS SH!T

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
***Important***
Not sure how far you are along in your build but I hope I catch you before you installed your oil pan.
My Envoy V8 engine block (LM4) did not come with an oil dipstick hole in the. Instead, it is located on the oil pan. I beleive the TBSS LS2 is the same way. This is a BIG deal since the coly and full size truck pans dont come with a hole for the dip stick.
It would suck if you didnt know about this and dropped the motor/trans in, installed wiring harness and headers.

Three pics up there is an engine pic with the dipstick visible.

(Disregard my tired stupidness)
I thought your post was intended for the previous poster. After reading I realize it was intended for op. Oops

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
***Important***

The engine is still on the stand and awaiting the swap, I decided to buy a new house so a lot of other non-house related projects are on hold in the meantime. I did look into this and the dipstick hole is still in the block it's just plugged with a freeze-plug style plug that needs to be knocked out in the Trailblazer and GTO applications (or any other LS application that uses a dipstick in the pan). If you take a look at your LM4 you should be able to find the plugged hole in the standard location on the block, just tap out the plug from the backside and you should be good to use block mounted dipstick! :cheers:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I’m jealous. As you can see, I wasnt that lucky

On a positive note, congrats on the home purchase. We too are in contract to purchase another house as well. We should close at the end of the month. That means another move. And everyone knows how fun that is....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I’m jealous. As you can see, I wasnt that lucky

On a positive note, congrats on the home purchase. We too are in contract to purchase another house as well. We should close at the end of the month. That means another move. And everyone knows how fun that is....
That's unfortunate, I did a bit more reading and apparently some LM4's do indeed come without the dipstick drilled. You should be able to drill it out yourself if you've got a good bit and some bravery. What's your plan to remedy it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Update on the build:

I didn't do as much towards the swap over the summer as I was hoping since I spent time on other mods and fixes like repairing the rusted rockers and cab corners, getting Z71 flares and mudguards, adding some light bars, and fixing some rust on the rear wheel arch. I also added 09+ front brakes, 2015 Silverado wheels with 265/60R18 AT tires, a Pioneer touchscreen headunit, and painted all the exterior trim with reduced Raptor Liner to give it a matching OEM-like fine texture finish. I did however do a lot of maintenance like all new upper and lower ball joints, new U-joints, Rancho Shocks front and rear, new front CV Axles, new sway bar bushings and endlinks, and new tie-rod ends.

However, in the last month or so I've managed to acquire a harness/valvebody/IMS/etc from a 2011 Silverado 4L60e and swapped them onto my 4L70e so that it's now electrically compatible with the 2009 Colorado 5.3L engine harness that I ordered which should now be totally plug and play with the LS2 and my Frankentrans. While I had the 4L70e apart I installed pinless accumulators from Sonnax and might also do a shift kit before I button it all up. The V8 motor mounts and LH8/9 oil pan kit have been ordered from Current Performance as well and I also picked up the Colorado V8 driver's side exhaust manifold from GM to pair with the passenger side manifold that came with the LS2 since the TBSS shares that part with the V8 Colorado.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
nice to hear your moving along with your project.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Snagged an AC Compressor from a Silverado at the junkyard along with the bracket and some other odds and ends. I've started reassembling the motor after tearing it down to clean it, replace all the gaskets, install the LH8 oil pan, new water pump, new tensioners and idlers, and de-rusting/painting some bits. It's starting to look like a motor again, I'll take a pic this evening when I get the throttle body painted and remounted.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts