Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of threads talking about the ride quality being compromised with a TB crank. How severe is this? I know a lot of you have still done it, but is this out of not caring or its really just not so bad? Plan on BJ flip as well to bring suspension angles somewhat back. Just curious of how bad the ride is afterwards. Also, for the rear is shackles AND AAL a ride quality compromising action? I see most do one or the other. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
It depends on how tall you go.

If you level a stock vehicle it is quite fine. If you run it up to near the max safe height then it's harsh. You can drive it of course. Over teh course of time you may find you wish you had not done it. It's been about 2.5 years for me. I'd like to lower it down some to get a better ride. When I am going around curves with medium/hard bumps, the suspension doesn't cycle quickly enough and I end up deflecting. Around town it's not too big of a deal. But at 70mph on a bumpy curve along the highway I get nervous when the paint stripes and my tires get closer to each other. I've learned to adapt.....if I see the bumpy obstacles, I take the inside edge so when I bounce around I'm not out of my lane.

Both shackles and AAL will change the ride characteristics. It goes without saying that with both systems installed, you will definitely notice it. I do not know why you would do that though unless you want to maintain the rear higher than the front, similar to a factory scenario.

Also, I can't tell you exactly how much of a difference there is because my opinion is different than yours. Some people will chime in saying it is hardly noticeable.

To those people though, I challenge them to return to factory condition and notice how much softer it is.....maybe they will still say it is not 'bad', but it is likely they will realize it has changed from stock. It is impossible for the quality of ride not to change, it's just a matter of what is acceptable to each person.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other than sub-frame lifting, is that the only way to lift the front? The reason I want both in the rear is bc my stock leafs sag pretty bad and I'd like to bring the U back. Then I want the shackles to gain lift. I understand the AAL with net me some lift but I don't believe it will be what im fishing for.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I did a 3' crank with the suspension maxx keys and noticed a stiffer ride immediately. At first it's a little unbearable but you get used to it after a while. It's mostly all personal preference and what's comfortable to you

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Other than sub-frame lifting, is that the only way to lift the front? The reason I want both in the rear is bc my stock leafs sag pretty bad and I'd like to bring the U back. Then I want the shackles to gain lift. I understand the AAL with net me some lift but I don't believe it will be what im fishing for.

Yes the only way to lift just the front is a torsion bar lift or sub frame lift

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,946 Posts
Do you want a truck or a Cadilac? i cranked my front to level it to 2" shackels. yea its ruff ride, but its a truck. didnt really notice to much diference on the front. and i have about 100 extra lbs on the front. i'm also doubled on the rear, shackles and AAL's. yea, i do feel that get bouncy when no weight in the rear. but hey, its a truck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you want a truck or a Cadilac? i cranked my front to level it to 2" shackels. yea its ruff ride, but its a truck. didnt really notice to much diference on the front. and i have about 100 extra lbs on the front. i'm also doubled on the rear, shackles and AAL's. yea, i do feel that get bouncy when no weight in the rear. but hey, its a truck.
Lol I don't want it to be a Cadi I just don't want to be bouncy as all get out. I drive about 120 miles/day and half of that with the youngster in the back. Not trying to bounce in the wrong spot and have it turn bad that's all. But ill just have to see for myself how it is, hopefully its bearable. As for lifting the front, nobody makes a spacer to lift and/or level?

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I've got a 2.5 crank, and the ride reminds me of a tuned sports car, you feel every bump, but it's not harsh, I'm fine with it, pot holes can be hell,,, a really rough road can get annoying.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
With a torsion bar design, spaces don't work. If you have coil springs, then yes there is a spacer.

If you want to torsion bar lift, go for it. MANY of us have done so. It's rough, it's going to be. But it not something you can't learn to live with, but over time you may find it becomes annoying. As just above...you will feel the bumps. When it becomes unbearable are square edged bumps, like a speed bump or anything else that is sharp like that.

Nobody will try to talk you out of the lift by saying it is insanely horrible.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't realize that spacers don't work with torsion bars... new to this. Im not looking for anyone to talk me out of it just making sure im not gonna hate my truck afterwards that's all. But I can just undo it so no big deal. So full tb crank and bj flip will be a max lift up front without having coilovers or sub-frame lift?

Don't some people throw a spacer with the bj flip? Is this bad?

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,946 Posts
What the hell do ppl do to these trucks that wuld make it bounce all over the place so much from cranking? All these damn ppl worried about ride quality.....

like has been said over and over again, through out this forum, dont over crank the front. I drive my truck every day, alot with the kids in it. Never, under normal circumstances, have i been worried about the kids bouncing around in the truck. Might want to rethink driving habits if thats the case

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I didn't realize that spacers don't work with torsion bars... new to this. Im not looking for anyone to talk me out of it just making sure im not gonna hate my truck afterwards that's all. But I can just undo it so no big deal. So full tb crank and bj flip will be a max lift up front without having coilovers or sub-frame lift?

Don't some people throw a spacer with the bj flip? Is this bad?

My comments were probably not taken as intended (since it's not possible to read how a person sounds).

I just meant that the ride is harsh but not so much that anybody would want to say to stay away.

Spacers for the ball joint is for something entirely different. Because of the way the upper ball joint is mounted to the UCA, flipping the ball joint, then possibly adding a spacer helps reposition the UCA more near the stock location. Not exactly, but it tries to make it closer.
Also, a BJ flip (and/or spacer) will not at all lift the front. The primary 2 purposes for that is 1) less likely to crack the UCA at the bj mount due to binding, and 2) Helps with getting the front end back into spec during alignment.

Basically:
Lift the front using torsion bar cranking until the lip of the front fender is about 24" from the center of the hub when the vehicle is parked on a level surface. Flip the ball joint if desired. Lower the front differential on a 4x4 model by about 3/4" using a spacer or stacking washers. Lowering the differential prolongs wear on the CV joint as the axle half-shafts are not driving at angles that can prematurely wear the joint out.

It is a pretty simple task to do. In many instances, no new keys are necessary. But if the torsion bars have sagged enough, then the truck won't meet the max height of ~24" without the use of aftermarket keys.

Installing shackles or an AAL is pretty simple as long as the vehicle isn't rusty. If so, removing the bolts from the shackle bushings can be a struggle. The bolt and bushing become rusted together and most often requires being cut out and replacing bushing and hardware.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Don't forget by cranking your TBs you loose downward suspension travel - this is significant.
And, the alignment of all front end components will be off which does shorten their life.

If you have the money and time, do it right and get a subframe lift.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What the hell do ppl do to these trucks that wuld make it bounce all over the place so much from cranking? All these damn ppl worried about ride quality.....

like has been said over and over again, through out this forum, dont over crank the front. I drive my truck every day, alot with the kids in it. Never, under normal circumstances, have i been worried about the kids bouncing around in the truck. Might want to rethink driving habits if thats the case
I've read the threads and have seen what people said I was trying to get a better idea of how bad it was and im not worriedx about my kid bouncing lol you must have read that wrong.

My comments were probably not taken as intended (since it's not possible to read how a person sounds).

I just meant that the ride is harsh but not so much that anybody would want to say to stay away.

Spacers for the ball joint is for something entirely different. Because of the way the upper ball joint is mounted to the UCA, flipping the ball joint, then possibly adding a spacer helps reposition the UCA more near the stock location. Not exactly, but it tries to make it closer.
Also, a BJ flip (and/or spacer) will not at all lift the front. The primary 2 purposes for that is 1) less likely to crack the UCA at the bj mount due to binding, and 2) Helps with getting the front end back into spec during alignment.

Basically:
Lift the front using torsion bar cranking until the lip of the front fender is about 24" from the center of the hub when the vehicle is parked on a level surface. Flip the ball joint if desired. Lower the front differential on a 4x4 model by about 3/4" using a spacer or stacking washers. Lowering the differential prolongs wear on the CV joint as the axle half-shafts are not driving at angles that can prematurely wear the joint out.

It is a pretty simple task to do. In many instances, no new keys are necessary. But if the torsion bars have sagged enough, then the truck won't meet the max height of ~24" without the use of aftermarket keys.

Installing shackles or an AAL is pretty simple as long as the vehicle isn't rusty. If so, removing the bolts from the shackle bushings can be a struggle. The bolt and bushing become rusted together and most often requires being cut out and replacing bushing and hardware.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have this lift you were asking about, I have cranked my tb's 3" and 2" lift shackles with procomp aal's and UCA spacer from smaxx, I like the ride a little stiffer in the rear helps with body roll and the front still has enough droop for everyday driving, I haven'thad to replace any parts early (knock on wood) and with 33x12.50's on 15x8's the tires do a good job of aabsorbing some of the bumps and rough spots, so all in all Ilike the ride and have no complaints

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
2.5 years on a crank. Yes it is stiffer, no it does not bounce all around. Just replaced my tie rods, inner and outer last week, at 189018 miles. Still rolling on the original factory hubs and original springs and torsion bars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2.5 years on a crank. Yes it is stiffer, no it does not bounce all around. Just replaced my tie rods, inner and outer last week, at 189018 miles. Still rolling on the original factory hubs and original springs and torsion bars.
how much did you get out of your crank? im going for a similar stance. I liek the wheel poke a bit, i know you are on 15s and ill be on 16s but what is your OS and BS on your wheel?

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
how much did you get out of your crank? im going for a similar stance. I liek the wheel poke a bit, i know you are on 15s and ill be on 16s but what is your OS and BS on your wheel?
Not sure what my OS is, but my Backspace is 3.75 inches. If I could do it again, I would find a 4 to 4.5 inch backspace. Less rubbing issues. I achieved roughly 2.75 inches up front and between 2.25-2.50 from the shackles. I could crank it more, but the alignment gets tricky and it does not drive as well. I would probably gain a half inch out back with new non sagging springs. Basically that would cure my lean and put me level.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Crank it up until the fender lip measures ~24" above the center of the hub when measured parked on a flat surface.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I buy Chevy pickups for the soft ride. Coming from 2 fords I personally love the stock quality ride.

I lifted the back only with shackles and the ride was not affected. I personally don't have any plans on modifying the front suspension. I know its not a Cadillac but in the world of trucks hell yeah it rides like a caddy!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts