Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so flame all you want but what exactly do Torsion Bars do? I know that you can crank them to lift or lowed the front end but what is their intended purpose?

I know it's such a noob ? but this is the first truck I've owned.

Thanks guys:355:

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ah good ol wikipedia. I didn;t even think about looking there. Thanks econo

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if i read this right tightening the TB for a lift causes a loss in travel of the front suspension. Am I right?

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that makes sense. This won't mess with suspension stiffness will it?

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true. Thanks :355:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
or you can get a ready lift to level it out or to get the extra 2''...if u have the money

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
The TB keys from ReadyLift or whoever are a waste of cash.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
why? because u can get the same affect for free by cranking? isnt it safer to use the leveling kit? i dunno...just wondering...haha

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
let me know your thoughts. I came across the leveling kits in the summit mag and was wondering about that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine are cranked 8turns... it wasn't a ruff ride till I installed the Rancho shocks and man do I love it! It actually rides like a truck! what bums me out is its only 2x4 and Z71... I wish I would have got a 4x4.. :(

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
why? because u can get the same affect for free by cranking? isnt it safer to use the leveling kit? i dunno...just wondering...haha
The change in ride quality comes from the reduction in downward travel. Cranking the TBs does the same thing. Safer? It's no different then cranking the TBs.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could pick them up on your way to the meet!!!:naughty:
I like the way you think Mister! haha. I may be making a stop there anyway. They had a set of crager 8's on sale. I think They'd look slick on my rig. I may ask about the leveling kits while I'm there.

Haha I just jacked my own thread.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
ive just heard that the kits maintain factory ride and wont pre maturely stress out your torsion bars...where ive heard alot of horror story's about cranking the TB's ...they sag after a while because of the stress and can actually cause more damage and its alot stiffer ride.

haha dont kill the messenger..thats just what ive heard

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
ive just heard that the kits maintain factory ride and wont pre maturely stress out your torsion bars...where ive heard alot of horror story's about cranking the TB's ...they sag after a while because of the stress and can actually cause more damage and its alot stiffer ride.

haha dont kill the messenger..thats just what ive heard
They sag after a while anyways.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I switched to Ready Lift keys. I like them, since I broke my old keys in my 93 chevy, I switched this out before I broke the crap stock ones.

Jumping a truck will break keys either way but these will last longer haha

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
ya thats what i was thinking...i know that the TB's sag anyways but new keys are little stronger then stock and may last longer....i guesss its what ever you prefer, either way u get the lift u desire

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well I read the directions and it said that Ready Lift's warranties will be voided if you use an add a leaf or spacers or any type of rear lift. It also said do at own risk. Any worries? How long have you had the keys? do you have any rear lift? what type?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts