1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I agree with the above posters. Any change in ride height requires an alignment.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
A tiny amount may be allowable, like 1/4" (guessing at the number). But I personally would not do it.

But 1.5"....that's a complete change -not a tweak. At least 1.5" won't harm your ride quality too badly. You may be right at the limit of compromising ride quality. Just bringing it up since you spend a bunch of $$$ on a good lift kit, then may go and compromise ride quality after all. LOL

Remember, after you crank you should let it settle. First crank, then adjust after a test drive. Then allow to setting a day or so of normal driving. Measure/tweak then align.

Done. :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
I thought there was a member here that did a 2"/3" drop (TB's & blocks) and was told by an alignment shop that the front was still within factory spec. I can't see/feel any negative effects on my 2" front drop.

·
252,000+ Miles
1,316 Posts
I thought there was a member here that did a 2"/3" drop (TB's & blocks) and was told by an alignment shop that the front was still within factory spec. I can't see/feel any negative effects on my 2" front drop.
He has a 4" rancho lift, which comes with a diff drop bracket. Pretty sure you shouldn't drop it any farther if it can be helped.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply everyone. I figured I'd have to do an alignment again. Some mentioned dropping, but I'm adjusting to go higher. To me, even with the 4" rancho, it doesn't look lifted. So I ordered cst add a leafs for the back and I'll adjust the tbars for the front.

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
They probably uncranked the front to level the truck since the rancho kit tends to leave the rear a little low. Im looking to get the CST aal too to bring my rear up. Post pics when you get em installed. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I'd try lifting the front as little as possible just for ride quality.

Having been tbar lifted or a few years, I'd be happy to spend $2000 to keep it this height but also to be able to keep the truck between the paint stripes when driving over rough roads.

I'm not familiar with your history. But if you haven't been driving around on a tbar lift you won't understand.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
They probably uncranked the front to level the truck since the rancho kit tends to leave the rear a little low.
You know, that might be true. I can remember at least one other case where somebody posted pictures of their truck after brining it in to get a Rancho kit installed, and the front had a pretty significant negative crank, and it was sitting fairly level.

Maybe we as a community need to start giving some feedback to the companies that sell these $1,000+ lift kits. Nobody wants to pay that much, and only get 2.5" of rear lift.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Yeah, it's always been that a lift height is measured by the front since it sits lower. Just like a torsion bar lift is advertised a 3" of lift. The rear is barely lifted and the front get's to level then beyond.

Sort of a marketing ploy. But not untrue either.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yeah, it's always been that a lift height is measured by the front since it sits lower. Just like a torsion bar lift is advertised a 3" of lift. The rear is barely lifted and the front get's to level then beyond.

Sort of a marketing ploy. But not untrue either.
Since you can easily get 1.5" of lift on the stock torsion bars, Rancho could call their lift a 4 - 5.5" lift, and include components to lift the rear 4". But I digress.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Since you can easily get 1.5" of lift on the stock torsion bars, Rancho could call their lift a 4 - 5.5" lift, and include components to lift the rear 4". But I digress.
Most people don't know that though, don't ruin the lift kit secret. LOL
That's why ReadyLift is in business!

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
the reason lift kits they keep rear at 2.5" is so they don't have to deal with driveshaft issues... length, pinion angle, hitting gas tank cross member, ect...

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Irish Z71... If your truck is a 2009+ then crank the TBs to about 26" center hub to bottom of fender flare, that is where you should be anyway with a 4" lift kit. 25" if your truck is 2004-2008. You can always go a little more is you want.

You may want to consider Skyjacker AALs... CST AALs only give about 1" of lift I think

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
does the shop that installed your suspension have some kind of warranty on the job?? I would try giving them a shot with re-adjusting your T-bars for no extra fee.. including alignment of course.. maybe a long shot but worth a try.

on the other hand, if your planning on lifting the rear some more, just wait for that until you bring up the front some more...

form experience, you can add up to 0.5" of lift on the T-bar until your really need an alignment, so if you wanna do that for now just to have it looking a little better im sure you will be fine, ive done it before many times.

I saw your install thread and your trunk Does seem un-cranked.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Irish Z71... If your truck is a 2009+ then crank the TBs to about 26" center hub to bottom of fender flare, that is where you should be anyway with a 4" lift kit. 25" if your truck is 2004-2008. You can always go a little more is you want.

You may want to consider Skyjacker AALs... CST AALs only give about 1" of lift I think
My truck is a 2011. I'll have to go measure and see where she sits. I'll look into the skyjacker leafs, I didn't know they sold them since I couldn't find them on their website. Thanks!

does the shop that installed your suspension have some kind of warranty on the job?? I would try giving them a shot with re-adjusting your T-bars for no extra fee.. including alignment of course.. maybe a long shot but worth a try.

on the other hand, if your planning on lifting the rear some more, just wait for that until you bring up the front some more...

form experience, you can add up to 0.5" of lift on the T-bar until your really need an alignment, so if you wanna do that for now just to have it looking a little better im sure you will be fine, ive done it before many times.

I saw your install thread and your trunk Does seem un-cranked.
I have an appointment tomorrow at the shop that did my install for a 500 mile retorque. I'm going to talk with the guy about bringing the front up higher. I'll post back when I get home after seeing what he says. But he had to have dropped the front to level it out. There is no way I can run the recommended tire size if 285/70/17 as it sits now. I had to buy wheel adapters so my 265's stopped rubbing. I'd probably rip off a fender flare if I put 285's on.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
RCC25 is the part number for the skyjacker AALs...

I needed another 2" to get my truck to sit level

the 2009+ models came a bit higher in the front from the factory which is why the rear will sit a bit low with just the shackles/hangers installed. I told the shop that installed mine to make sure I got 4" of lift in front and I'll take care of leveling the rear, LOL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts