Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A Quick Look At How It Works...

We'll start by pointing out that the Locker is a speed sensitive design. That is, it reacts to wheel slip by sensing when one wheel is spinning substantially faster than the other.

So, when you're cruising along on clean dry pavement, the locker operates like any regular open differential.

But, as soon as wheel slip happens, going forward or reverse, the locker immediately kicks in. Here's how.

The differential is set up with a flyweight governor that responds to differences in wheel speeds, and disc packs that are mounted between the side gear and the case.

Whenever one wheel is spinning substantially faster than the other, the governor spins rapidly, causing the flyweight to open. That flyweight then catches on a latching bracket and the lockup process begins.

During lockup, a self-energized clutch system causes a cam plate to ramp against a side gear. This ramping action compresses those disc packs mentioned earlier. The ramping continues until both axles - and therefore both wheels - are spinning at the same speed. This is full lock, and it prevents any further wheel slip. (Note: Axle lockup can only occur at speeds below 20 mph.)

The entire lockup process takes about a split second, and is virtually unnoticeable by the average driver. When both wheels regain traction, unlocking occurs and things go back to normal.

Eaton Locking Differentials

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Good info! :355: Still alot of folks who think the G80 is strictly limited slip or don't understand how this locker works.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
Yes G80 FTW, nice and easy explaination of how it works!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
yeah I want to install a G80, how do i do this or get it done. im sick of getting one tire spinning in the mud.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If you want a real posi buy an Eaton, if you want a locker buy TruTrak or Yukon Grizzly.

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
If you want a real posi buy an Eaton, if you want a locker buy TruTrak or Yukon Grizzly.
I wouldnt do either...I would just find one of these trucks in a junk yard and steal its entire axle to swap out. Easier...cheaper...and you may even be able to find a 3.73 instead of the 3.42 you likely have..seem's to me like the best way. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I wouldnt do either...I would just find one of these trucks in a junk yard and steal its entire axle to swap out. Easier...cheaper...and you may even be able to find a 3.73 instead of the 3.42 you likely have..seem's to me like the best way. :shrug:
or 410s ftw with a g80

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
410's on in z71's. And v8's I THINK...? The z71's axle's are wider than a z85's. IF I could find one with 4.10's in it I would have bought it a LONG time ago! LOL

·
Nation Sleeper
354 Posts
410's on in z71's. And v8's I THINK...? The z71's axle's are wider than a z85's. IF I could find one with 4.10's in it I would have bought it a LONG time ago! LOL
I must say the G80 with the 4:10s ftw! I have found the Locking rear makes a big diff in the snow!

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
Huge man...HUGE! LOL Snow is so much more fum with a g80.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.