Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a good one for ya. My temp gage is doing some really funky shit. With the truck warmed up and just cruising everything is just fine and normal. Now when I go to giving it gas say to pass someone or just wanting to get on the freeway (under load) the temp gage starts dropping just as fast as the speedo goes up. It'll go down past the 1/4 mark and stay there until I let off the gas then it slowly returns back up to the 1/2 just like normal. At first I thought I was seeing things but after a couple of days it's still doing it. So I'm like WTF????? Any ideas??

·
NW Surfrider
5,351 Posts
dumb question...but have you checked your coolant levels...if your low its possible that your not getting good flow over the sensor...at least that was the way it was with my stang...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope that's not it. That's the first thing I thought of. It's right on the line.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Water pump is overcoming the thermostat close off spring at the high RPMs... Free low temp thermostat. :naughty:

Some 04/05s have been noted to do this right from the factory.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So warentee or not???

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
I fell over the edge
2,261 Posts
my 07 does it as well. doesnt seems like it affects anythign though and the temp on the scan gauge is showing acceptable levels meaning it might drop down to 1/4 mark and its still reading 180 degrees. 200 degrees is just a tick over half on mine.

·
Registered
836 Posts
if you've got a warranty let them deal with it ha

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Water pump is overcoming the thermostat close off spring at the high RPMs... Free low temp thermostat. :naughty:

Some 04/05s have been noted to do this right from the factory.
:yeahthat:

Mine's done it since I bought it, I don't worry about it and it's never caused problems. It only does it when it's really cold out.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts

Mine's done it since I bought it, I don't worry about it and it's never caused problems. It only does it when it's really cold out.
It is odd on the randomness that I run into the issue on others trucks.. The positive, is that you will run slightly cooler when you pass 2500 rpm.. The coolant temps never go lower than 180ish, no worries. Even in winter, that should be good enough to get heat in the cab. Plus the temperature should come right back up to 190ish once the rpms settle back to cruising range. :high5:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
It is odd on the randomness that I run into the issue on others trucks.. The positive, is that you will run slightly cooler when you pass 2500 rpm.. The coolant temps never go lower than 180ish, no worries. Even in winter, that should be good enough to get heat in the cab. Plus the temperature should come right back up to 190ish once the rpms settle back to cruising range. :high5:
Yeah, it never really worried me. I knew it wasn't really dropping that fast, can you imagine the problems you'd have from an all aluminum engine actually cooling that fast? :lol:

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

Mine is an 04 and it has done it ever since i got it don't matter if its hot or cold.... guess that you cant over heat it when you are warpin on it...plus my coolant level drops between 1/4 to a 1/2 of an inch like every month or two....but i think its my radiator because i smoked a deer with it....and i think it weeps coolant bec on a hot day you can smell coolant when you walk around the front of the truck and if you look you can see a damo spot on each top corner for the radiator but the leak is nothin serious so im not too worried...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts