Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Premium Member
616 Posts
your bio says 2007 3.5L CrewCab, so I'm sure it had the higher t-stat to begin with, that said ... I've been dealing with a very similar issue for over a month now, a few things come to mind to check …

Are the hoses really hard to the point you cannot pinch them together? indicates possible air or stuck closed t-stat …
Is the bottom hose really cold?
Air in the system causing the t-stat to not open? (a coolant burping kit works great)
At least 50/50 antifreeze ratio? a higher antifreeze ratio will make it run warm and not let it dissipate heat efficiently
Turn the temperature selector to the red (hot) side, you don’t necessarily need to put the fan speed on, this lets the water circulate thru the heater core …
Once hot, the needle should move down then back up under heavy acceleration, I wouldn’t do this test on WOT since it seems to be running on the hot side already …
To help cool off the engine, turn the heater on and fan on high
with the heater on, it should blow hot air out the vents ...

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Newcoly Thanks Man! It is a 3.7 sorry I need to update some of my info. I was thinking that there might be Air in the system. I fired it up yesterday and left the cap to see if it would burp it self that way but it started to overflow out. So I had to stop but I will run it tonight.

· Premium Member
616 Posts
yep, I did the same thing, coolant all over the place. the DIY funnel works great, but it took me at least two times and squeezing both hoses helps too.

· Registered
30 Posts
I have an 06 with the 3.5 that does the same thing. Scangauge reads 200-210 when driving and when it stop for a short period of time with the truck off (like getting gas or similar), it will read as high as 220-225. Once I get moving the temp will drop back to the 200-210 range. Is this normal for these trucks? I have 150K miles on it (rolled over last week), on the factory water pump. Would I benefit from changing it? Coolant looks clean.

· Registered
371 Posts
I have an 06 with the 3.5 that does the same thing. Scangauge reads 200-210 when driving and when it stop for a short period of time with the truck off (like getting gas or similar), it will read as high as 220-225. Once I get moving the temp will drop back to the 200-210 range. Is this normal for these trucks? I have 150K miles on it (rolled over last week), on the factory water pump. Would I benefit from changing it? Coolant looks clean.

Mine does same thing. But driving my isbalways in 190 range. I have an 06 3.5 with 88k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
30 Posts
Mine does same thing. But driving my isbalways in 190 range. I have an 06 3.5 with 88k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm curious about this, I've only had the truck for a week. I bought it from my brother who has owned it since 30k miles so I know it has been taken care of.

· TOTM Moderator
548 Posts
you definitely have a newer tstat. (195*) I would change WP just as a Preventative Maintenance thing. I'm on my 3rd one at 160k. 210 is normal though. i made the shim to drop it back to a 185*

· Premium Member
616 Posts
it sounds ok, my old clutch fan set up would run 197* and when parked will spike up to 217*. I have an eFan with a 0.60 spacer in the t-stat with 60% water to 40% antifreeze, so far it runs 199* and spikes to 212* when parked, but its been only 2 days with this set-up, still collecting data... has the antifreeze been changed, Dexcool is good for about 100k.

· Registered
30 Posts
I appreciate all the information so far! I will be replacing the water pump this weekend as maintenance, and while I'm in there i might as well replace the fan clutch. I'm wondering though if an e-fan is worth the investment.

· Premium Member
616 Posts
I'm wondering though if an e-fan is worth the investment.
Not to discourage anyone from purchasing a prefab, plug-n-play efan, but as mods go, from my experience it’s last on the list for these trucks. I feel the same money is better spent on a quality tune, even if it’s just a basic 87octane utilizing stock intake and stock exhaust. As Gold Country Russ mentioned in another post, the Cooling system is adequate when maintained properly. Modding the t-stat like Asposato is offering and then combine that with a higher water to antifreeze ratio, you can really dial in the temp range for your climate ...

· Registered
22 Posts
I replaced Both my Water pump and TStat over the weekend. I'm Noticing that the temp is running higher than usual. it was 70°F when I took these Pictures. One while Driving and One when I made a stop at the Gas Station.
if there is air in the system the temp will jump up until it has purged out. but it shouldn't take long. when I did my water pump and t stat it had a high temp for a few miles.. I just drove it until the temp jumped up and parked. rinse/repeat

· Registered
30 Posts
Not to discourage anyone from purchasing a prefab, plug-n-play efan, but as mods go, from my experience it’s last on the list for these trucks. I feel the same money is better spent on a quality tune, even if it’s just a basic 87octane utilizing stock intake and stock exhaust. As Gold Country Russ mentioned in another post, the Cooling system is adequate when maintained properly. Modding the t-stat like Asposato is offering and then combine that with a higher water to antifreeze ratio, you can really dial in the temp range for your climate ...
I appreciate the input. I'm going to hold off on the e-fan for now. I believe the t-stat was replaced back in 2012 or 13, I cant remember when. It has been pretty warm where I live (90-95*) so I guess it isn't too bad. I just want to make sure everything is proper with the cooling system as I will be using the truck to haul my dirtbike plus my friends polaris rzr from time to time and dont want to get stranded. I also want to take good care of the truck as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts