Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running into an issue where my temp rises past 210° while driving.
If i let it idle the temperature goes back down to 200° and stays there while idling.
I have an lm7 engine. I have the stock 2.9l radiator. I have gates rad hoses.
I have burped the system the best i could.
I do have the rear and front steam vents teed to the ICT Billet 3/4 Inch Water Pump Spacer . I have a new 252-846 water pump and a gates 180° t-stat. Including a ls1 fan powered by the pcm and wiring from cp.

Anything I should check for to fix this issue.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Is your radioator big enough to handle the extra heat load of the engine under load? Have you tried replacing with Colorado/Canyon V8 radiator?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your radioator big enough to handle the extra heat load of the engine under load? Have you tried replacing with Colorado/Canyon V8 radiator?
Its the stock radiator. I have not since everyone else said the stock radiator can handle it. It is a stock lm7 engine.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Not sure what background "everyone else" has here, but GM design engineers specified a larger radiator for the V8, so they clearly had a different opinion. Also, if you search the site, you will see several people with I5s that had coolant temperature concerns went with V8 radiator and that addressed the concerns they had.
Going another route, is your fan clutch allowing the fan to lock up when temperatures require it? Or do you have a fitting or hose that has an obstruction that interferes at speed?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Its the stock radiator. I have not since everyone else said the stock radiator can handle it. It is a stock lm7 engine.
Two things come to mind , one being have you checked if the radiator can get air to pass through it freely ?
Not long ago a similar complaint as yours was solved by just hosing and brushing crap from the radiator fins so that air would flow through . You don't mention what year your truck is . The newest Gen 1 Colorado / Canyon is eight plus years old , radiators don't last forever and can loose some efficiency the older they get as sediment and corrosion occur .I agree with you that the stock radiator is capable of providing adequate cooling for non modified engines or the V-8 as long as it's in good condition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure what background "everyone else" has here, but GM design engineers specified a larger radiator for the V8, so they clearly had a different opinion. Also, if you search the site, you will see several people with I5s that had coolant temperature concerns went with V8 radiator and that addressed the concerns they had.
Going another route, is your fan clutch allowing the fan to lock up when temperatures require it? Or do you have a fitting or hose that has an obstruction that interferes at speed?
Thanks for your help. I will just go ahead a buy a v8 radiator. Hope its the same shape and modifications are required. It is ls1 electric fans that turn on i think at 190°.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two things come to mind , one being have you checked if the radiator can get air to pass through it freely ?
Not long ago a similar complaint as yours was solved by just hosing and brushing crap from the radiator fins so that air would flow through . You don't mention what year your truck is . The newest Gen 1 Colorado / Canyon is eight plus years old , radiators don't last forever and can loose some efficiency the older they get as sediment and corrosion occur .I agree with you that the stock radiator is capable of providing adequate cooling for non modified engines or the V-8 as long as it's in good condition.
I checked by looking through it and seems clean. It is a 2007 and i will just get the v8 radiator. Thanks for the tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts