Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a happy 2005 Colorado owner for several days now and just drove it in the rain for the first time yesterday. I have to say I was pretty disappointed in the amount of traction it got and am wondering if it's normal. I didn't have any problems with fishtailing on turns or stopping, but every time I would start from a stop my wheels would start spinning. It did it both on level ground and of course going uphill as well. It has a fairly new set of Cooper Discoverer HTs and is the LS model ext cab with the standard suspension I believe. Is this normal for these trucks?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I've never had trouble unless there was like 13in of snow on the ground, and even then it was the lack of a locker or 4 wheel drive that let me down, I'm riding on michallens

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
What tires do you have and how much tread is on them?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
My Z85 truck with well over-sized tires and an open rear differential will break loose whenever I try when it is wet. Especially after the first rains after a long time. But my truck has zero traction control...and an open rear diff. If I drive in control then no problem, but if I goose it through a turn or romp on it at a green light, yeah it will break loose.

My Z85 comes standard with 29" tires and I've increased by nearly 10% and they still spin.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd just try not to give it so much gas and be easy on it. Mine does it as well when I get on it and that's with 245/20's

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got Z85 I'll spin both wheels through an intersection if I really romp on it from a stop in the rain. I got 245/60/15s..with a good amount of life. Not only that but the rear kicks out on me every now and then by surprise. I like it, IMO.

·
the guy that always on
3,236 Posts
I got Z85 I'll spin both wheels through an intersection if I really romp on it from a stop in the rain. I got 245/60/15s..with a good amount of life. Not only that but the rear kicks out on me every now and then by surprise. I like it, IMO.
Untill it kicks out on you in the middle of a u turn and then you lose it and run up on a median. Ask me how I know lol

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Seems more typical that on a Z85 just one wheel will spin. Unless you have the G80. With an open differential, as soon as a wheel spins, power isn't delivered to the other wheel.

It's like putting one wheel on ice and one on the pavement. When the icy wheels slips, the other wheel will not even try to spin.

If you do have the G80, then the axles should be locked up together and you're just spinning both due to power delivery.

I do not believe it's very common for Z85's to have a G80, they are few and far between I THINK.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, that must be the problem then. I was thinking it was a LSD for some reason. I guess I'll look in to maybe putting a lunchbox in if this is any indication of how it's going to behave in the snow.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Look in your glove box for the silver sticker. The sticker has several alpha-numeric codes, one of which may be G80. If you see that code then you have a type of locking differential, if you will. Otherwise it's open and your traction isn't as good.

Sometimes it's pretty useless. I've done pretty good in snow in 2wd a few times, but I have 4x4 to fall back on if needed. My driveway is sloped quite a bit, and I can't make it in in 2wd if it snows. Good thing the pavement may appear white about once a year.

And a lunchbox may be a good idea for you....just in case you get stuck you'll have a sandwich available.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
if its spinning that much, your tires are at fault.

how old are they? dry-rotted? sometimes a good burnout will remove the nasty rubber and get fresh good gripping rubber to show.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I can easily light-up the rears on my 06 Z71 4x4 on a Left or Right turn...there's no weight in the rear so traction isn't like an indy car. In the winter I put 5-70lb sand tubes in the rear; right over the differential. It works great...then I'll leave 2-3 in there for summer (sometimes) for added traction weight. Don't know if OP's truct is 2WD vs. 4WD, but it doesn't matter...no weight in rear = slipping.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
My Z85 crew has the G80 diff.

I know there are guys who would prefer a more typical limited-slip like a Tru-Trac or whatever but for me with a purely street truck everyday driver the G80 makes that truck what it is. I love the thing.

I spent last winter in Milwaukee and I never had a problem.
In the rain, etc traction is never even something I think about. The little truck just lights up and GOES!

I learned recently that the Trailblazer SS model came with a Torsen differential.
The Torsen is the ultimate diff, superior to anything.
There's a reason most ultra highperformance cars and the Hummvee use the Torsen.

(and I do know that off-road rock-climbing types will prefer a locker, but that's a different thing altogether)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If you have a fairly new set of Coopers on there, I'd say you are just experiencing the lack of traction that results from not having a lot of weight over your drive wheels.

I don't find my extended cab too bad, considering the fact that it is a pickup. I usually launch with a pretty light foot when it is raining. My tires are 265/75R16.

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
With any amount of water on the road, I'll spin the hell out of my Rocky Mountain 33x12.5's. Ext cab 4x4 Z71 over here, so I have the G80 too. Still on 3.73's, once I get the 4.10's in I'm sure it'll be worse.

When we had the big rain hit, my truck shifted into 2nd at WOT while driving straight, and I started going crooked lol. It had me with a damn big grin on my face. I'm also tuned with some upgrades to the trans, and all traction control disabled.

Toss 200lbs back there though, and I can't break em loose even in a hard corner.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
255/40-17 Nitto NT555 ..............all they do is stick, wet or dry

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if its spinning that much, your tires are at fault.

how old are they? dry-rotted? sometimes a good burnout will remove the nasty rubber and get fresh good gripping rubber to show.
Noidea how old they are, but they appear to be fairly fresh, miles wise. I'll try a little burnout, in the name of safety and all. :naughty:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
my truck is ass end light, to much gas an it sits and spins both tires.
maybe to much POWER ???? ha ha ha current new tires 255x45x18
Nitto 555 extremes. but the Cal Trac's keep it from hoping around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts